Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Ask Cathe

Ask Cathe This is a forum to ask Cathe Friedrich a question. Cathe can't answer every post, but will try to answer as many as possible.

Why no Heavy Leg work in Xtrain?

This is a discussion on Why no Heavy Leg work in Xtrain? within the Ask Cathe forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Cathe, I am wondering why there is not any heavy lifting for legs in Xtrain? I miss it .. nothing ...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Catheite
*crazysoccermom*'s Profile Fields

Question Why no Heavy Leg work in Xtrain?

Cathe,

I am wondering why there is not any heavy lifting for legs in Xtrain? I miss it .. nothing makes me feel more powerful than when I can increase my weight on squats.

Thanks,

Kristen
mini-natty likes this.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Catheite

I agree. I am still have 3 more weeks to finish an undulating rotation of STS. but plan to make up my own version of XTrain. Partly as there is no heavy leg workout and I like do a heavy leg workout as well.
mini-natty likes this.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 AM
Cathlete

Send a message via AIM to maddiesmum

Why do we expect any one series to do it all?

If you have the STS series with heavy leg work, then there you go, you already have what you want. Add to this Slow & Heavy, and take any other leg workout, slow down the pace and increase the weight where you want.

I think it's OK for each series to present something different. Mix it up, you've got everything.

Clare
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Cathlete
jengollf's Profile Fields

I agree with you, Clare. Cathe has so many wonderful workouts and one workout cannot do it all or please everyone. I am doing the Xtrain 90 day rotation and I actually plan to start replacing one lower body workout each week with one of her other lower body workouts--to mix things up. Make it even more "undulating" I guess. The funny thing is, for Christmas I asked my husband for a squat rack and bench for STS. And I plan to start STS when I finish Xtrain--but I am doing Xtrain now and the gift is collecting dust. He is not pleased since we both went to a lot of trouble researching and picking them out. I am still very very happy he got them for me, because I can use them in more of Cathe's workouts than just Xtrain... but right now I'm focused on Xtrain.
nckfitheart2009 likes this.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Cathlete
nckfitheart2009's Profile Fields

Default Heavy stuff

I agree with Clare too. Each series has to offer something different without necessarily using the same equipment, offering the same reps pattern or same moves! It would be a dread IMO. In STS there is heavy usage of various equipment and LIS and XTRAIN offer minimal equipment. It does depend on personal preference and also on the rotation you are on.

It is also all about being versatile embracing various program, utilising various equipment and cross training. I love Barbell for example *BUT* Recently I have been working on improving my grip and my form while doing biceps concentrated curl and I had to use dumbbell. I had no choice as I wanted to ensure my left hand (which is weaker) improves. So i used a dumbbell instead.

If you want heavy workout for legs,I suggest STS squat rack program. Nothing has challenged my legs as the heavy load I can squat using my squat rack. It has proven to me it was high time to safely increase the load at the comfort of my own home. I am doing both plyo and squat rack and I have had a response from my leg muscles I have not had for years. It has shocked my legs I will be using a weighted vest as well.

Both light and heavy program are important to gain improvement. This has proven to be true for what I have experienced.

All the best,
Mariposa1973 likes this.

Fitness is not about being better than someone
else. It's about being better than you used to be.

======================================

Nathalie
Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Cathlete
jdimascio's Profile Fields

Now that I finished my 6th week, I think I have a better understanding the purpose of Xtrain (just my thoughts). This program is designed to build upper body strength and sculpt the lower body, which I think is perfect for most women who want to thin out the legs and build up our backs and shoulders.

I just came off of heavy leg work, so Xtrain legs is a nice change up to help make the muscles that were developed, by going heavy, pop.

I don't like to train the same way all the time...you have to mix things up to get results!
Marathon PR: 3:09
10 mile PR: 1:02:47 (new PR 5/6/12)
5 Mile PR: 31:28
5K PR: 18:41 - (new PR 6/26/13)
Half Marathon: 1:25:51 (9/16/12)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM

There is a 35 min premix in disk 6 cardio leg that is the strength part of the workout only. The strength part of that workout uses heavy weights. You can do that 2x since none of those exercises are repeated. It would be about 60 min since you can skip through one of the warmup and cool down. That would be an awesome workout!!!
Nanbo and Zenara25 like this.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Catheite

Thanks everyone for your comments. I like your idea snderca, I going to watch that segment. I did some weight workouts from XTrain during a week's break from STS, so I only have a limited experience with it (so I value everyone's feedback) but trying to plan what I am going to do when I finish an undulating rotation of STS in 3 weeks.

I like the gains I have made doing STS 2X this year (and the break between the 2 times of STS, I was a lumberjack on my forested property and gained strength!). I like doing the varied strength workouts (i.e. the 3 mesocycles from STS) and don't want to let life interfer and not continue them, so trying to have a plan ready to keep me doing them.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Catheite
*crazysoccermom*'s Profile Fields

Well, yes. Each series can be something different. But the burn sets using heavy weights with 10 reps for all upper body work, I would have expected to have a lower body training in the same format. The fact that Cathe choose to go a different route makes me wonder why.

Personally I don't have STS.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Catheite
jennifur's Profile Fields

Personally, I'm really surprised! At first I was skeptical but I am having fantastic results with the XTrain Legs. I love mixing it up, but my results have never been better. I would've never ever thought that lighter leg work would be so effective for me. It's always good to mix it up.
fit_fairy and Nanbo like this.