Whole Body Vibration

loneswaneast

Cathlete
Cathe, or anyone who has tried them:
What are your views about Whole Body Vibration? Is there any truth to the manufacturer's claims? I see SoloFlex has now included WBV on each of its products now.
Has anyone tried WBV? Any noticeable benefits?
Thanks

Hi Loneswaneast! I'm not familiar enough with the product to comment. Please also ask in Open Discussion. I'm sure someone is bound to have some feedback for you:)

Hello again,
The theory behind Whole Body Vibration Platforms supposedly was developed for Russian Cosmonauts who spent long periods of time at the space station in a zero-gravity environment to offset muscle loss. Since then, several very expensive units and one more reasonably priced unit from Soloflex have been an integral part of physical therapy departments and gymnasiums. I must say though, that much of the information I've read is from places selling the units.
Supposedly, weight training, yoga, and pilates performed on one of these platforms increases the effectiveness of each exercise because the energy from the platform is thrust into the body and one's muscles and bones then have to work to balance and simply handle the energy inflow. There have been a number of studies that suggest improvement in jump height gains in athletes, and in the elderly recovering from surgery, etc. If you do a google search for Whole Body Vibration Exercise, some of these come up.
I saw a unit at the hospital physical therapy unit where I take my Mom who is recovering from Hip surgery. The vibration frequency can be adjusted from slight to the maximum safe level. Her therapist uses it herself and she says she sees a difference in her strength levels.
The soloflex website explains the theory pretty well, but of course they are selling it now and including it on all their machines...
There seems to be as many doubters as there are proponents, and I trust your opinion.
Can't wait for the new DVD's and thank you for responding.
BB

There are quite a few things that are beneficial for people in physical therapy, or the elderly, or who have never exercised, that don't show much benefit for more advanced exercisers.

Don't know if this is one of those things or not, but the ones I've seem (in Gaiam catalog) seemed too pricey to 'try out."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.