Where do you find time to eat clean?

Cruncholi

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I am wondering how a busy person both professionally and personally such as yourself can find the time to cook healthy meals, pack healthy lunches, and have clean snacks on hand.

I work about 50 to 55 hours per week (mainly a desk job unless I'm on my feet in court--attorney), am working with my husband to renovate our house in the evenings, workout each morning for about an hour, and need 7-1/2 to 8 hours of sleep per night.

Lunch and dinner seem to be the biggest problem. It is just so much easier to go out and grab something. Do you have any suggestions on how to fit it all in? The eating is just sabotaging all of my hard workout efforts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the new Intensity Series is really wonderful. I only have IMax 2 and Muscle Endurance left to try.

Thank you!
Linda

I was wondering this last night. Not about Cathe, but about all the people that plan their meals and stuff. I only have two kids, but I can't believe how busy they keep me! I have a very part-time job out of the home and have a hard time finding time for that. Of course, my 30 min. internet time each day could be part of it. But, fitness is my passion.

Andrea

It's just like exercise. You have to make time or it's never going to happen. Besides, it doesn't take long to open a can of tuna or make yourself a salad. :) It just takes a little planning. - Jennifer

Jennifer has it exactly! Eating healthy takes planning with contingency plans & supplies for hectic times.

Debra

Hey guys;

I am not Cathe but I hear your dilemna. i don't have kids but I work full time and go to school 3 nights a week so I am quite busy. Being away from the house is hard to eat healthy. I have found that if I cook a bunch of stuff on Sunday then I am good for the week. Like I will make turkey burgers or chicken breast and brown rice. It really makes it sooooooo much easier becuase then you know what you are going to eat everyday and it's healthy. It still takes planning but sometimes you gotta do it. Some healthy snacks are apple and low fat string cheese or a small handful of peanuts or protein shake or something. GOOD LUCK

I am not Cathe either (Cathe hope you don't mind), but I had to chime in: Preparing healthy foods for yourself is just something you have to get in the habit of doing. There is not 'shortcut' to it, just as there is no 'shortcut' to fitness. But you'd be surprised. What takes 'so much time' to prepare in January (for instance) becomes a breeze to prepare by the time April rolls around. I find little shortcuts save tons of time and effort - like making a big batch of brown rice/grains and freezing individual measured servings in ziploc bags to bring with my lunch to work. Besides cooking time, that takes me five minutes to package and freeze the rice, while hubby and I talk about the workday. You have to make your own healthy 'fast foods'.
Good luck!
Kathy

Diane - I think Lean Cuisine is tasty, along with others like Healthy Choice, etc. However, I don't eat them often because they tend to be high in sodium. I'd also like to hear what others think of Lean Cuisine...

Linda,
I'm not as busy as you are, but I find that being busy can work in your favor when trying to eat better. When you are just sitting around with nothing to do, you eat a lot more (trust me- I just quit my job!) The key is you need to be prepared (like the other posts say). When you don't bring your lunch, you're most likely going to go out for fast food.

Try to pack a lunch/dinner the night before. I usually bring leftovers, soup and a roll, healthy TV dinners, pasta, sandwiches...I'm not big on cooking either.

A few months ago, I realized I was eating out more than in. So I allowed myself to eat out once or twice a week. I usually get kids meals so I don't sabotage my diet too much.

Also, carry snacks (pretzels, nuts, dry cereal, fruit) with you in case you get hungry between meals. Then you won't hit the drive-thru on the way home or shove your face with donuts when you get home!

Good luck

Oh WOW you are busy. We just ronvatied this past summer and I know what you mean about it's easier to grab something or go out to eat. I don't know about you, but I didn't have a kitchen. I cooked on the porch and had to wash dishes in the bath tub. Never again. lol.

There's a magazine that is put out by "Muscle & Fitness Hers". It's called "Weight Loss" This magazine has some easy and yummy recipes in it. I've been eatting there breakfast and lunch recipes and just make my normal dinner for my family. I look forward to these meals. My lunches I make the night before and bring them to work the next day. I get up 30min earlier in the morning so I'm sure to get my breakfast. My lunch time isn't schedule until 1:00 in the after noon, so I eat a protein bar around 1030 or 1100 so I don't get to hungry berfore lunch. I took up this eatting plan because I'll like to get back down to a 25-26inch waist (pre children). I've started at a 29inch and now a 28 1/2. I just started eatting this way 3wks ago. I know it doesn't sound like much but it feels and looks like much. This magazine will be diplayed until March. It has a white and blue cover. I hope you find it. Good luck on your ronvating.

Hi Linda! When I come to work I have two offices that I use. Fortunately one of them is in a town home so I have full kitchen access and can store or make food right there. Its great for me and I cherish this set up.

Thank you Cathe and everyone for responding. The town home set up sounds wonderful and you are very lucky! I have only a microwave and that's about it! I will try to incorporate these good ideas by everyone. Thanks.
Linda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.