When should I start seeing results?

MasonK

Cathlete
I am 4 weeks into an exercise regime which consists of 6 days a week. I alternate between Step and Cardio Kickboxing. I bought the StepFit video which I am not using because my only time to work-out is 4:15am and I find the choregraphy in StepFit very complicated.My question: I have GAINED 3 pounds so far -- which everyone says is muscle... and wondered when I would start losing any weight and how long before I can really see and feel a difference. I do Cathe's Cardio Kicks video as well as take a class on Saturday's and currently I am doing a Reebok step video at 9 inches with 1.5 wrist weights.

Please help. I will not stop -- I am bound and determined to get fit, but I thought I would see SOME results so far. Also, my goal was to lose 10 pounds along with shaping up.

Please clarify for me. Are you doing any weights as well as your step and kickboxing? I believe that it is important to balance your workouts with cardio, strength, and flexibility. The only way to loose weight is by building muscle, doing cardio, and controlling eating and lifestyle.

The only weights I use are 1.5 pound wrist weights which I use with step only. My lifestyle is quite healthy -- I eat very low fat and keep the calories down. I'm 5'5" and was 127 when I started and now I'm 130 or 131. Trying for 120.

RE: Why???

Mason, When you started you were at your ideal weight. Going to 120 would be a little low for your height. A woman (now this is just a guideline) who is 5' should weight about 100lbs. Then you add 5lbs for every inch over 5'. I'm 5'1" and while I weigh 110. I am looking to get down to 105. However, 110 maybe where my body is setpoint at. I know I'm within my healthy range and so are you. However, Bodyfat is much more important. You could be 130, but only have say, 17% bodyfat. That's very healthy and trim. It's possible that those 3lbs are muscle. Please get your bodyfat checked. You'll probably be pleasntly surprised:)!

Aimee

RE: Mason,

Aimee,

Don't worry -- I was not offended at all. I was sincerely thanking you for your input.

I do not think I will be responding any longer, as I think I am perhaps not using this forum as it was intended.

Thank you to all who replied. I truly appreciate your input and help!

Kathleen

Welcome Kathleen

Kathleen, it looks like your question was exactly what this forum is intended for - a question for Cathe. If there was a forum violation, & I don't think there was, it was in the response (& we'll have to resolve that with Cathe). I believe (or I wouldn't be posting here) that others with advice or related questions can respond to the Cathe questions. Please don't withdraw as no offense was meant.

As to your question, Aimee & Rhonita were trying to clarify your current exercise routine. Fitness involves 3 parts - aerobic exercise, strength training, & flexability. Most of us are not going to see changes in our body without strength training. You want to include strength training in your routine for non-cosmetic reasons too. If you're young enough, you can build bone density, if you're older, then it slows the loss of bone density. Strength training also helps you to do daily activities without strain or risk of injury & revs up your metabolism so that you can eat more healthy food. Cardio keeps your heart strong while strength work keeps the rest of you strong. The toning in Cathe's Wedding Tape is a great intro to strength training. Cathe's other strength training is advanced so you may want some non-Cathe tapes as an interim step.

I'm with Aimee on your weight. Numerically you are not overweight. You might not be as lean as you want but please don't let the number on a scale dictate the success or failure of your fitness program. Stick around the forum & you will learn more. In general, the mirror, how your clothes feel, & body measurements with a tape measure are better indicators of how you're doing on a fitness program.

If you're uncomfortable responding on the "Ask Cathe" forum, jump over to the open forum. Again, welcome.
Debra

RE: Welcome Kathleen

Thank you so much for your input, advice and encouragement. I think I probably will get the Wedding tape and see what that's all about.

Thanks again.
Kathleen

Kathleen!

I'm the one who posted the "don't send me hate mail" thread, and it was not intended for you, and it was not directed at anyone in particular. It was really only a re-reminder to everyone that there are other conferences that we can post on for general questions. But your question was directed at Cathe, and people are allowed to respond! I hesitated so much over even posting that, but I just thought I'd be helping Cathe out by reminding... Please(!!!!) don't take offense at my post--it was certainly not meant to hurt anyone's feelings or discourage posts!
Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.