what weights do you use?

catybuff

Just wondering what size weights and barbell you guys use in the PS videos. I know, I know, use weights that challange ME and that is the right weight to use. This is just a curiosity question.

OK, I'll bite

There are an awful lot of weights in the PS series. In PS Legs I use a 40 lb barbell, 12 pound dumbells, a set of 7 pound ones instead of the body bar, and 4 lb ankle weights for the floor work.
For B/B/A, I use a 40 lb barbell, then down to 35 for the 2nd set, 25 pound dumbells for the first set, then 20 for the 2nd and 3rd, and 15 lb dumbells for the hammer curls, 10 for the concentration curls.
For C/S/T, I use 12 lb dumbells for the Arnold press, 10 and 8 for the other stuff. 20 lbs for the triceps press and chest stuff. A 40 lb barbell for the bench press and 35 lb barbellfor the dips.
Does that help?

some I left out

I forgot. I use 55 lbs on the end for the uneven rows thing and a 60 lb barbell for the next barbell row thing. the barbell I was talking about in B/B/A above was for biceps.

WOW!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-00 AT 09:15AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi,
Wow,I'm impressed and I thought I was going heavy.
I'm close but because of a wrist injury I can't curl more than 30lbs. on the biceps.I'm wondering How long did it take you to up the weights like that?(just wondering what I have to look foward to)
Thanks

HOw long it took

Thanks for the ego boost, mari27! Anyway, I started these PS tapes about a year ago, and am either at the same weight or have added no more than five pounds to a barbell or dumbell since then. I am happy just to break even at my age (43). Also, I am 5'8" and have been working out at home for many years with the FIRM and so it's not like I started from scratch. I started when I was 21 doing weights once or twice a week.

Weight Poundage

I use 65 pounds, including the barbell for lower body. For Upper Body, I use 25 to 30, including barbell.

Dumbell-Wise, I use 25 for lat rows and french presses, 20 to 15 for chest flies, 15 for biceps, 10 to 8 for tricep kickbacks.

barbell poundage question to Amy Steppe....

Do you get that heavy barbell on to your shoulders unassisted or do you use a rack? Just curious.....I use 50lbs for lower body, and don't have a problem getting it onto my shoulders, MOST of the time. But the other day, I was doing a Firm tape that alternated between UB and LB, and at one point my UB was soo fatigued, I couldn't push that barbell over my head to put it down again!!! I was glad it was a weekend and I could call for dh to come from the other room to help me! BTW, the poundages you listed are impressive!!!
-Debbie

To Debbie

No, I don't use any assistance to get the weights up and down. I've never had any problem in that regard.

I don't use as heavy of weights as some Firmies I know. One of them regularly uses 20 lb. dumbbells for bicep curls -- No way I'll ever do that.

I think, though, that weight poundage is a very personal thing and one should not compare themselves to others. The trick is to use a poundage that is challenging, yet manageable.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.