weight loss question- 2nd try

amynicole

Cathlete
Hi All,
I'm new here, and this is my second attempt to post this question. The first time I attempted it did not work. First Cathe, I am a real fan of yours. Before I had my kids I use to weigh in the 140s (I am 5'7) and do a lot of step aerobics at the gym. I loved those classes and thought my step days were over since I can't make it to the gym anymore. I learned about your tapes on the FIRM website. Thanks for your great collection of work!

Anyway, Last year I weighed 224, and now I am 188. I have about 50 more lbs to lose and am stuck on a platue. I may be overweight, but with some struggle am able to make it through the step tapes. My current routine is cardio 5 days a week for 30-60 minutes, and strenth training 2 times a week usually to a FIRM tape. I own almost all the Cathe's- including the new X-training which I have not even openend (and have not even done a weight tape because they intimidate me) I also own a gym quality treadmill, and recumbent stationary bike. I have been consuming about 1800 calories a day but my weight is not budging anymore.

What is the best formula for fat/weight loss without losing muscle? I am going to drop my calories to 1,200 to 1,500 a day. I have read that as long as you keep it at 1,200 you will not lose muscle if you eat enough protein. I am thinking of adding a third day of weight training and keeping the cardio at 5-6 days a week for 30-60 minutes per session- I cross train for cardio as much as I can (your step tapes, treadmill, bike, walking outside). I am going to continute to do FIRM all weight tapes 2 x a week and add a third strenth session- do you think I should try your MIS tape? Is this good for weight loss? OR would it make me too bulky? I want to see the 130s so badly and any advice you can give me would be appreciated!

Just...

..bringing Amy back to the top. She keeps getting lost down there!!!:-( Amy, keep in mind that Cathe has had a very busy week this past week with the DVD's and this weekend with the roadtrip. Hopefully, she will see your post soon. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Just...

..bringing Amy back to the top. She keeps getting lost down there!!!:-( Amy, keep in mind that Cathe has had a very busy week this past week with the DVD's and this weekend with the roadtrip. Hopefully, she will see your post soon. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

AMYNICOLE

I am not Cathe, but I am a physician. My question to you is..how long have you been at your plateau? Weight loss always slows down as your body gets closer to it's natural set point. Do not expect permanent changes to happen too fast. My guess from your post is that you have been at 188 for at least several months out of the past year. If you are really stuck at that weight there are a few things to try.
One thing that helps some people is increased intensity. I recommend alternating shorter, more intense workouts with longer easier workouts. Also, nothing helps your metabolism like building muscle. At 5'7" I don't think that using Cathe's weight tapes will bulk you up too easily. You will probably get smaller due to fat loss. Of course, make sure you eat properly and eat enough calories around your workouts! If you exercise more intensely (still be sure to rest yourself and take easy days, especially in the beginning)I don't think that 1800 calories is too much. I am barely over 5 feet tall and not much over 100 lbs. I would not be able to continue my current workouts if I didn't eat at least 1800 to 2000 calories a day (or often more like 2500).

Good luck and use Cathe's strength tapes!

RE: AMYNICOLE

Thanks DebbieH for moving this up, and thanks Irene for the reply. I have been stuck for 6 months. I am having a really hard time dealing with this weight because prior to becoming pregnant with my first child 4 1/2 years ago I was always told how skinny I was. Now it is the opposite. I use to be a runner which is hard to believe considering my body now. Thanks for the advice. I will try that with the interval training. I think I'll take the shrink wrap off my cathe weight tapes and give those a try as well. I have been afraid to drop my calories too far below 1800 because I don't want to slow my metabolism. Also my one year old and three year old take a lot of energy on my part to keep up with. I'll try the intensity thing, and if that does not work maybe drop to 1600 calories. I am aiming for 150, but would love to be in the high 130s. My gyn told me I could safely be 135-140 based my body type but not to go below 135, especially since I want to get pregnant again in a year or two and she said if my body fat falls too low I could have trouble getting pregnant. Anyway, thanks again for the advice!

Amy

AMYNICOLE

I think trying Cathe's weight training can certainly help knock you off that plateau. If you've been doing Firm style for a long time (and I'm assuming at least 6 months since that's how long you've been on the plateau) then your body has probably adapted to that style. Changing up the way you work your muscles (Cathe's weight tapes are higher weight with lower reps then pretty much any Firm) should push you off that ledge. Good luck to you :)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-00 AT 00:22AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Amy Nicole! Sorry for taking so long to post. As Debbie has mentioned, the last 10 days have been very busy ones (thanks Debbie).

Irene and Rose have given you wonderful advice (thanks both of you). Their thoughts and suggestions mirror mine. A couple of shorter high intensity workouts per week plus a new approach to weight training would be a good shock to your metabolism. While your other exercise program sounds thorough and effective(loved all of the cardio variety), your body has clearly gotten too used to that particular mix.

I don't think you'll be needing to decrease your calories at all. Especially once you add in those higher intensity workouts and make some lifting changes. These changes are going to boost your metabolism plus increase your lean muscle mass. That means more calories are going to be burned on an overall daily basis. As a matter of fact, if you start to feel exceptionally tired or fatigued, you may even need to increase your calories a bit.

I suggest doing MIS two times per week (put a couple of days between your strength workouts). Also, do TWO very high intensity, 25 to 30 minute cardio workouts, per week. Plus THREE medium to high intesity, 45 to 60 minute, workouts per week.

Please ease into this change by adding minutes and intensity at a gradual pace. After about 3 to 4 weeks, you can go all out on both strength and intensity. Keep your workouts safe and effective. Modify any moves that you are not comfortable with. Factor in a day off per week and maybe two if you are especially sore on a given day.

Eat clean and healthy, eat enough, drink plenty of water and sleep well!

Okay, that should do it.

Good Luck and keep us posted:).

One more quick question Cathe----

When you suggested "very high intensity, 25-30 minute cardio workouts", would you consider the cardio from the CTX series as fitting that description?
Thanks--Debbie

RE: One more quick question Cathe----

Hi Debbie! This answer really depends on an individuals fitness level. For someone who is an advanced exerciser and trains hard frequently, then maybe not. For someone who is mostly a low to medium intensity exerciser, then I would say yes.

Very high intensity training would be when just past the warm up, you are focused, and putting 100% effort into everything until its time to cooldown. During this training you would NOT want to be GASPING for air but still work in the higher end of your training zone (unless of course you are doing an interval training workout which is a different high intensity format altogether. Incidently, when it comes to interval workouts(cycles of anaerobic and aerobic training), I wouldn't recommend doing them more than once a week).

Hope this helps!

RE: One more quick question Cathe----

Hi! Rose, sorry I did not acknowlege your advice, I did not see it until tonight. What you said makes sense. I have been using the firm for about a year and the first 6 months noticed real progress, then just stayed stuck for the last 6.

Cathe, I am really impressed that you answer your questions! What you have said makes real sense also. I am going to follow your advice and start mixing up longer steady state cardio with more instense days. Also, gonna unwrap, preview and use MIS! When I first started your step tapes, I was always intimidated because I heard how instense they are. Once I did them a few times, I always loved them. I think once I take the plunge into the weight tapes, I will enjoy the change also. I tend to get into routines and I think it is time to shake things up to shock my metabolism.

Your advice will be possible to follow expect one piece- with my one year old and three year old it is not so easy to get a good night sleep! I am a morning excerciser and am up at 5:30 so those nights when my son has a nightmare or daughter gets up in the middle of the night, I'm still up at 5:30 to workout. But with your son, you are familiar with the unpredictable sleep of a child. Imagine that times 2!

Anyway, thanks again for the response and I'll keep you posted! I am determined to get my formerly slim body back- but only better, this time with muscle definition.

Amy

Question...

Cathe said:
*** Incidently, when it comes to interval workouts(cycles of anaerobic and aerobic training), I wouldn't recommend doing them more than once a week).****

Why not more than once a week? I catch myself pulling the interval workouts off the shelf quite often! Am I hurting myself?

Thanks in advance!
Your workouts have changed my body and my life. Please keep up the good (and hard!) work!

Robyn

RE: Question...

Hi Robyn! Interval workouts (when done entirely at ALL OUT intensity)are very demanding on your body's muscles, joints, and ligaments. Therefore, if you are going to do these workouts with MAXIMUM intensity, then it is best to do them once a week and/or no more than two non-consecutive times per week.

Thanks Cathe!

When you say **MAXIMUM** intensity, then I understand what you mean.
Thanks for the answer.

Robyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.