Warm-up question

Kara

Cathlete
Cathe and/or educated crowd,

I'm starting the June 03 rotation in a couple of weeks which is usually one body part per day and cardio afterwards. Just wondering if it's necessary to the the warm up on the cardio section. For example: S&H Chest only then Cardio Kicks. Do I need to do the CK warmup? Just trying to save some time I guess.

TIA

Kara

You should do some type of warm-up before weight work, even if it's just some progressively larger range-of-motion moves while marching in place, to get blood flowing, loosen up the muscles, and get everything prepared for use.

You could also take a tip from gym rats, and do a few sets of exercises for the muscle group in question as a warm-up. Like doing two sets of very light chest presses (not to failure) before getting into the 'working sets.'

Hi Kathryn
Thanks for your quick response. I didn't explain that very well. I will definely do the weight warm-up, but after working that body part, do I need to do the cardio portion warm-up as well?

Thanks,
Kara

Hi, Kara.
Actually, you explained it fine, I just misread it!

I'd say if you feel warmed up (did you break a sweat), you don't need to do the cardio warm-up. But I personally might do the CK warm-up because it's a good one (gradually increasing in intensity, without a lot of static stretches).

Part of it might depend on what body part you're working. The triceps and biceps are small muscles, and just working them wouldn't do much for overall body warm-up, so I'd tend to do the cardio warm-up after those parts. But the larger muscles of the legs, back and chest require more energy from the body, so I'd consider the cardio warm-up as optional (but it would entirely depend on how I felt at the time).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.