Using the Weighted Vest

Dawncharlie

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and others!

I ordered my weighted vest and can't wait until it arrives!

Just curious how Cathe and others use their weighted vests safely--

I'm thinking I'll try mine during the leg workout of Slow & Heavy, because I just can't lift 50 lbs on my shoulders using a barbell.

I'm also thinking about using it for leg workouts: Butts and Guts, Legs and Glutes, and Gym Style Legs.

How do others use it? For any cardio step/kickboxing workouts or would that be too much on the joints?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Dawn

I got mine specifically for when I do lower body weights, mine is adjustable so it can be used for power walking also but once you have it on you'll best determine yourself if you want to use it for step or high intensity cardio.

Personally I know my joints would not be happy with me if I used my vest for any intense cardio.

picture.php

How to use

Hi Dawn! Great question. You will enjoy using this vest for many stand up leg exercises that you would normally use with a barbell....all except deadlifts, where the forward tilt of this exercise will feel uncomfortable with that weight pushing you off balance. I also agree with you and wouldn't recommend wearing this vest for high impact activities. You're right, too much stress on the joints.

Some other great ways to use the vest is walking lunges, power walking, tricep dips, push ups, and gasp, pull ups :eek:

Have fun!

Hi Dawn! Great question. You will enjoy using this vest for many stand up leg exercises that you would normally use with a barbell....all except deadlifts, where the forward tilt of this exercise will feel uncomfortable with that weight pushing you off balance. I also agree with you and wouldn't recommend wearing this vest for high impact activities. You're right, too much stress on the joints.

Some other great ways to use the vest is walking lunges, power walking, tricep dips, push ups, and gasp, pull ups :eek:

Have fun!

Thanks for answering this question!! I just got my vest and LOVE it! I really would like to try some power walking with the vest. I am already enjoying going heavier on legs with the vest. Kudos to Cathe, SNM, and Altus for a great product!

I received my vest yesterday afternoon, wore it to do some kitchen work like cleaning vegetables. I can only imagine what it will be like to wear doing walking lunges! I wasn't quite brave enough to use it for tricep dips this morning but wondered if perhaps I should--maybe next week. Glad to get your suggestions, Cathe.

I bought the Cathe weighted vest and used it the other day for Butts and Guts---it was GREAT for the walking lunges! It actually made me almost enjoy it ;).

I think the vest is perfect for the walking lunges and the bulgarian squats in B&Gs. I guess you could also add it to fire walkers :eek::eek::eek:

Hi!
I received my weighted vest last week and LOVE it!! I've walked with it... love the phone / ipod access... and also used it for the leg lifts in High Step training in lieu of the plate... comfy!! Abbe, will definitely try with G & B!.
THANKS!

Awwwwww man! I was hoping to use my vest for kickboxing, step, and all the other cardio stuff----since Cathe recently tabooed my idea of weighted hand gloves for these activities!!!!!! :eek::p:p

Shana, Cathe said the gloves are fine for kickboxing, because those workouts are designed with that in mind, but she said it would be a bad idea to wear them for step workouts, because those are not designed with wearing any sort of weight -- it would be hard on your joints, but more likely you could get injured by swinging your arms around quickly.

-Beth

Beth - Thank you! I thought I had read that, and I thought they were used in one of the kickboxing DVDs but I hadn't really paid attention until a couple of days ago when I went to look at her stuff online.

HI Dawn,
I just finished Butts and Guts... inspired by Abbe... thanks, Abbe; and the weighted vest added so much to the walking lunges!!!! You're going to love it.
In my previous thread I mentioned I used it for the leg lifts in HST... I meant the leg presses... anyway, terrific stuff, ENJOY
Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.