Two Totally Unrelated Questions...

sparrow

Cathlete
Hi All!

I hope everyone is having a lovely Saturday :)

I have two questions based on things I've read in different posts over the last week. Maybe someone can comment?

1) My hands have been aching alot lately. I see that some on here wear weighted gloves. Are those good for preventing carpal tunnel?

2) Someone mentioned in a post about too much cardio possibly damaging the heart? Anyone know more about this?

Thanks!

Sparrow

Hi Sparrow!

1) Weighted gloves will help prevent calluses, and pad your hands somewhat, as well as improving your grip. Some gloves (like the kind I wear) have a wrist wrap, which could possibly help you avoid carpal tunnel, but only because they would be a reminder to keep your wrists straight. I've had carpal tunnel problems in the past (brought on after a workout with push-ups and tricep dips in). Putting pressure on a bent wrist aggravates CT. And CT is not really in the hand as much as a numb feeling in the wrist (and possibly on the sides of the hand).

2) I'm not sure about too much cardio, per se, damaging the heart, but too much of high intensity of anything doesn't allow your body to recover (which is why you need at least 24 hours between working the same muscle groups when weight training, and why taking a recovery week, as well as days off, helps you get stronger).

high intensity training is a stress on the body. The "trick" is to find theh amount of stress that is productive and not harmful.

I'm sure someone here will give you a more definite answer on this second question!

Please do not worry about cardio workouts hurting your heart. That post belonged to someone who had damaged her heart by exercising through sickness and who had been ordered by her doctor to stay away from cardio for a while.

Cardio is not a danger to average, healthy people.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.