Trocanter (outer hip) bursitis?

finner

Cathe,
I have had this off and on for over a year and it really does not seem to be resolving completely. I see a sports medicine doc and have had two cortisone injections and am currently doing PT, but I was continuing my activity level (step, running, bike, weights) with permission unless it hurt. I think I may need to take a break from at least running (and likely more!!) to resolve this problem. I am really discouraged that this will not get better and it is more a nagging injury/problem than anything else, but it is inflamed/sore a lot. I want to be able to exercise until old age, but am afraid to take extended time off. I am *really* anxious and discouraged this evening as I don't want a chronic condition. Anybody else had this and how did it resolve? What are suggestions for activity to keep your fitness while you are "resting" this area? I have a very high stress job as a social worker and so need the exercise release.
Need encouragement.

I had this problem in my mid 20's when I was doing high impact cardio 5-6 days per week. However, it was never bad enough to need a cortisone shot. It seemed to go away over time when I cut down on the high impact. I never do high impact two days in a row. I also got some help on selecting the right running shoes. I'm not sure if that was a contributor to fixing the problem.

It is SO frustrating to have these chronic issues. My doctor told me it was an overuse injury. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.