Trigger Points

bamems

bamems
Three years ago I began working out to Cathe on FitTV & then purchased several DVD's. I lost 30 pounds of fat in 8 months & toned up. I was VERY pleased with the results. The problem I started having was trigger points in my legs (small, but painful, muscle contractions...like a tightness that won't go away & cannot be stretched through). After getting the run-around from several doctors, I went to a massage therapist who specializes in trigger point therapy. That was a temporary help. Unfortunately, the trigger points keep coming back despite my efforts to stretch & strenghthen. They're very debilitating. I may be able to cycle or kickbox one day, but the trigger points keep my legs so SORE & tight for several days after. Does ANYONE have any information on trigger points or how to get rid of them permanently? I am desperate. I have not only gained some weight back but lost muscle tone d/t to this condition. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do take magnesium supplements as well as a healthy "whole" vitamin supplement.:-(

If this is a question to "anyone,'and not Cathe, it would fit better in the open discussion forum.

I suggest checking out foam rolling. (If you repost in OD, I can give you more info on it).

Not Cathe here,
But I have the same problem. I continue to see my massage therapist. I see him once a month, and it has kept the issue under control for me.

My recommendation is to schedule a standing appointment. It's not a one time thing, unfortunately, as you've found. Stretching on your own does help, as does heat. If you have a hot pack at home, use that on the points, and stretch again afterwards. It will give you some relief. But, it will probably be a cyclical problem, so I do suggest keeping that appointment with the therapist regularly.

Kathryn
This was my first time posting, so I didn't realize I shouldn't have posted the question that way in this format. Thanks for the reminder.
Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.