Training for a video shoot?

dpendleton

Cathe,

How do you and your crew train for a video shoot? I have about three weeks before I will be one of the less-talented background exercisers in Todd Gheisar's upcoming kickboxing circuit video.

Any recommendations? I am upping my cardio so I can try to keep pace with the crew - the video will have weight-training intervals, rope jumping, kickboxing & step.

I have just about all your tapes and am thinking about doing a CTX rotation with an extra jumprope session in the evenings. Boy, will I miss S&H though!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dawn P.

RE: How did you get that gig?

Hi, Dawn! Obviously I'm not Cathe, but I'm wildly curious as to how you got that gig to be a video-class participant / demonstrator. It's one of my secret daydreams myself! (Oops - the secret's out! :) )

Annette

Wow Dawn!

That is too cool! Can't wait to see one of our Cathe fans on vid! Let us know when the video comes out! I'm sure you will do just GREAT with the conditioning you've done with Cathe's tapes.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Wow Dawn!

I think we should audition to be the senior members in a future Cathe shoot, whaddya think, Deb H?;-) Do you think begging would help?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-01 AT 01:17AM (Est)[/font][p]Wow,

You guys are so enthusiastic, I hope I can show that kind of energy during the filming. Heck, I hope I can keep up period!

Todd Gheisar has a bit of a fan club over at videofitness.com and some of us have met him at various fitness conferences. He is known for producing kickboxing videos with great form and energy and kickbutt combos. Volume 3 is my fave! He invited some of his VF fans to participate in filming a video over 4 days in November, isn't that exciting?

We provide our own transportation and hotel. But what a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Not everyone's been able to afford it - or get the time off. But since I was laid off this summer, I am considering this a mini-vacation before I (hopefully) get a job.

I'll keep everyone posted on our progress. You can check out the forum at videofitness for updates. And go to Todd's site www.teamknockout.com to learn info about his new upcoming videos.

In the meantime, I REALLY hope that Cathe hears my pleas for advice on how to prepare for this - I am really going to need the strength and endurance to keep up with these guys - Todd and the Team Knockout crew are young and talented and very athletic!

Dawn P.

Hi Dawn! Congratulations! That sounds very exciting. I'm sure you will do very well.

The answer to your question is sports specific training. If you need to improve your skills for an event the best thing to do is train within the parameters of the event. You say that you will have weight training intervals, rope jumping, kickboxing and step. Therefore the best thing to do is to train hard with all of these activities. Some days train harder with endurance and other days train harder with intervals. Do you know how long you will be doing each of these components? If it is just short bursts of each then perhaps you want to set up a circut with jump roping, then weights, then kickboxing, then weights, then stepping, then weights, etc. But if you will be doing long periods of each then work on your endurance within each component.

Just remember, focus your training on using movements and skills that are specific in nature to what you will be doing in the video. Good Luck!

Thanks Cathe!

Cathe,

Wow, thanks for the advice! I'm always thrilled when a fitness celebrity gives me training advice.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Dawn P.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.