tighter abs after c-section

js70

Cathlete
Hi Cathe...I do have questions about tighter abs after a C-section. It seems like my abs' muscle just disappear. Even after losing all the weight to the pre-pregnancya nd exercising a lot, my abs just don't seem to be the same anymore. They're flat, but not tight and loose skin is there. I just don't know what to do. After my first child, I did not have this problem at all (I did not have a C-section with the first). It's after the C-section that I feel this way. Is there anything I can do? or I just have to accept this :) Thanks.
JS70

Not Cathe, obviously. :D

I had a c-section with my first child. I have a low horizontal scar. I didn't have a problem getting my abs back in shape after my first child. I'm not sure what type of scar you have, but if it was an emergency c-section with a vertical scar, it will definitely be tougher to get those abs back in shape because of the incision cutting through the ab muscles. I'm no expert, but I believe that is what I read. With my second child, I had a vbac. Afterwards, it took me over a year to get my abs back in shape. So even though it wasn't a c-section, it took longer. My thoughts? I was older and it was my 2nd kid. So that might be what you're going through, too. What finally worked for me was eating very clean, adding running into my rotation and, of course, Cathe's workouts. My abs aren't "perfect." There still some loose skin there, but I can wear a bikini with confidence and I'm happy with my abs (for the most part, haha). Not sure if I helped, but that's my two cents. :D

Thanks so much for the reply Kara. Yes, I did have an emergency C-section and the incision is vertical. And I'm not that young at all. So, I'll just try your advice by eating clean (so hard for me) and exercise more. Is there any particular dvd you like to use for your abs? Thanks again Kara.
Jera

Eating clean was hard for me. I'm 28, going on 29, and have lived my entire life by indulging in sweets. :D So it was very hard to give that up to a certain extent. It did get easier though, because after a few weeks I didn't crave the sugar anymore. Just gotta take it one day at a time.

As for a particular ab DVD ... I don't have any suggestions. I tend to favor the ab workouts tacked onto the end of a step workout, like the abs at the end of LIC or at the end of Muscle Max, if for no other reason than I like the shorter 7-8 minute ab workouts. :D I rotate my ab workouts and don't stick with one particular DVD all the time. I just do whatever interests me. I usually do ab work every other day or at least 3 times a week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.