tennis elbow

DW

Hi Cathe. I was wondering if Cathe or anyone could tell me if there are any exercises that are safe to do for upper body while recovering from tennis elbow. The doctor said I could still workout but wanted me to lay off the sore area. I guess I should have gotten something more specific because it has been a couple of months of having it feel better and then get worse again. Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone else experienced this? BTW I do not play tennis.

a little trouble myself

This may be a different sort of pain, but sometimes when I wake up in the a.m. my elbow is stiff and hurts! I think I sleep with it very tight against my body. Then I work out as soon as I can change clothes, so sometimes it is still hurting. This may be a different pain, but at least this will push your question to the top!!

To help keep tennis elbow from flaring up, make sure that you do exercises to strengthen the forearm and wrist. Some exercises are wrist rotations(slowly rotating a dumbell from a palm up position to a palm down position), forearm curls(again, with a dumbell in your hand and your palm facing the ceiling, curl your wrist only to lift the weight up and down, then when finished, flip your palm so that it faces the floor and again, curl your wrist only to lift and lower the weight up and down), and squeezing exercise hand grippers. Hope you feel better.

"tennis elbow"

Thanks Cathe. It sometimes feels better for awhile. Then I'll sleep on it wrong or lift something wrong and it flares up again. My Dr. had said that I needed to strengthen the forearm but didn't say how. I will try the exercises you mentioned. Again thanks for responding.

I have it too.

I have been told that if your outer elbow hurts when you lift something with your forearm, it is tennis elbow , and if the inner elbow hurts, it is arthritis. By inner/outer, I mean, the bony knobs on the sides of the joint.

I was doing a strength workout about 2 months ago, and my outer elbow started hurting. My husband, brother and mother have all had tennis elbow in the last year, so I immediately knew what it was. My Mom was lifting weights, my husband was using a chain saw, and my brother was painting. I think it has something to do with repetitive motion.

I wear a velcro strap around my forearm when I workout or do housework/gardening kinds of things to keep the tendon immobile, and have started working on strengthening my forearms. It seems to take at least 6 months to go away, based on what happened to my family members! I hope yours goes away soon!

Sandi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.