Target heart rate?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Hi Cathe--I know you're busy w/STS orders & don't know if you'll see this, but I was hoping you could clear up my confusion.

Last night a trainer told me that, based on my age, height & weight, my HR should stay in the 140s for me to lose weight. Cathe, my HR is in the 140s during your WARMUPS!!!!! I usually average 160-170 w/most of my cardio. Sometimes, esp. w/intervals, my HR rises to 190. According to the program in my HRM, my zone is 140-170.

So, is my HRM wrong, is the trainer wrong, or is there something wrong w/me? :confused: I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

Will post in OD too so I can get others' input.

laura,
That is not right. it sounds like the PT wants to keep you in the fat burning zone. (the zone where you burn the highest % of fat). However, the 'fat burning zone' is bogus. Yes the lighter the work load the higher % of fat you burn. You burn the highest % of fat while you are being a couch potatoe!! The higher your intensity the more you switch over to carbohydrates as fuel, but you burn more total calories, and when you are trying to lose weight it is calories that count.

And even though the fat % you burn at lower intensities is greater than higher, the total amount of fat calories can be higher at a lower %. Does that make sense?

The best type of cardio is interval training, like sprinting for 30 secs, then jog for 60 secs or 1min run/2 min jog. Or Cathe's Imax videos are interval training.

Your high heart rate is fine. If you can work at that level then you should. Keeping it a 140, if it is too easy will not do too much for you.
I hope this helps
chrissy

Last edited:
Laura,
I agree with Chrissy. My PT told me that the fat burning zone in theory is true but for an intermediate or advanced exerciser, it isn't worth while.

I'd be intrested to hear what Cathe's thoughs are on this.

190 BPM??? Wowie girl, you work H-A-R-D!!!

Mary

Last edited:
Chrissy, don't be silly girl, I know your background & your input is much appreciated!

Mary, that's really the high end of my HR. Usually during an IMAX blast. ;) Oh, & sometimes during Drill Max. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.