Surgery is not an option

rose426

Dear Cathe,

Before I begin, I want to say thank you...you are inspirational!
Now, that said, I have worked out with your videos for years, they make me move, groove, look and feel great. I have had several car accidents involving rear crashes. The most recent was 11 months ago. After each I've had to modify my routine within limits. But after the last one, I've thoracic protrusions, lumbar dislocation, and cervical compression.
Surgery is not an option.
I am having a seriously hard time working out my core. Even modifying doesn't seem to help.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks again,
Rose

Not Cathe but... what does your doctor say? You really should ask the medical professionals personally involved in your case. Tell your doctor what fitness means to you (sometimes, I don't think they understand this) then ask for advice on what's going to be acceptable.

Thank you for the response. I had worked with the doctors, spent 3 weeks hospitalized going thru "physical therapy". When finally allowed I showed them my workouts & routine. Unfortunately they're surprised that I am not in a wheel chair. They are suggesting surgery using cadaver bone and pins. The result would be less pain, but no rotational movement. Currently I use the pain to encourage the workouts I do. The more I strengthen, the less pain I feel.
But my core is the stickler. Trying to crunch kills my upper back & neck. And I get dizzy getting up.
I'm not looking for a quick fix...there may not be a fix at all. I'll just keep trying. Thanks again.

Not Cathe, but I thought I'd chime in.
I had a lot of success with a specific kind of physical therapy called craniosacral and myofacial release or somatoemotional release. You might want to look into that and see if anyone in your area practices it. my spine was a mess and for over 3 years nobody knew what to do about it. I thought I would never workout again and now I do IMAX's. the craniosacral therapy and myofacial release therapy really helped me.
Good luck, I hope you get to return to complete and pain free function!!
--Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.