stubborn exercise problem

s2546

hi cathe i have an exercise question that i can never resolve although i've been working out for 20 years regularly. i have all your tapes and all your dvds and use them faithfully but no matter what rotation i use,i can never lose inches around my waistline. i am very small (hips are 34") with a 27 inch waist and although i know it is genetic is there anything or rotation you can suggest to improve that area. i would so appreciate any help you can give. thank you for all your amazing, exceptional tapes!

Count me in on that question - my waistline has always been my biggest problem too. I have no trouble losing or firming in the hip/thigh area but if overweight the fat always goes to my middle first, & even when not overweight the waist is still there! Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)
Ruth

Hello, Fellow Apples!

Or, me three:). My hip to waist ratio also leaves much to be desired. But you are right, it's all (or mostly) in the genes.

Proud Apples, wink!

Genetically, I too, was given narrow hips and a thicker middle. After the baby, this situation was even more apparent. But as long as you are working out sensibly and eating sensibly, there are certain things we need to accept about ourselves.

I'm certainly not suggesting to just throw in the towel though. I'm simply suggesting to make the best improvements that you possibly can in a healthy manner. Then, when you reach a point where you are very toned, very strong, very cardiovascularly fit, and find everything on you to be as fit as you can get it, yet you still seem to notice your waist not being as in proportion to your hips, this is when it is time to accept that you look good even with a bit smaller of a hip and a bit wider of a waist.

I can tell you what I do to work with my situation and perhaps maybe some ideas will help you too.

I do 4 to 5 days of cardio per week. I find running to help trim the waistline for me. I also find the movements of kickboxing to help trim the waistline. I like to do a variety of cardio activities but I try to include these in the mix for these exact reasons.

I weight train each muscle group of the body at least once per week. I like to work my shoulders harder to give an illusion of a thinner waist. My back is genetically wider and that also helps with the slimming illusion. But if genetically your back is not wider, you could work your lat muscles a little extra to bring more of a "V" shape out. As for my hips, I really can't change my bone structure so I just rely on my cardio and leg work activities to keep them in overall good shape.

When I eat sensibly (and I know it is very hard to stay "good" in this category), I try to limit my starchy carb intake and junk foods(ie: fried (such as potato chips), fried sugary (such as donuts), and bready (such as cheese nips, soft pretzels). I don't like to discuss diet because it is a very involved topic that can get way beyond my scope of knowledge, so I'll stop here. But I will say that if you would like more guidance on how to establish a better food plan, consult a registered dietician in your area.

Hope this helps :)

RE: Proud Apples, wink!

Cathe you are the best! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question. There is no other fitness person whose opinion I value more. Each time I finish one of your tapes I marvel at the opportunity to have the talent of a fabulous fitness professional right in my home. I've already preorderd all your new DVD's and continue to look forward to the excitement and inspiration of all your works (and words). My husband couldn't believe you really answered. Thanks again!

Hi Cathe,

I would also like to thank you so much for taking the time to give a detailed answer to this question. It helps a lot to know that even you have to wrestle with this problem! I must say, you seem to be extremely successful with it, as I would never have guessed you were a member of our little Apple Club! ;-)

I will incorporate your ideas into my workout schedule immediately! Thanks again, you are the greatest!

Ruth

Now, see, even Cathe has a problem area! That should make us all feel better! Thank you for that post, Miss Cathe!

Hey, Apples!

Even among apples, there are differences. Cathe looks to be naturally very muscular. I am the opposite. I don't put on muscle easily:-(. I have long, long legs. Skinny ones too! A short, short waist (makes it look thicker, boo hoo). My legs are disproportionately long compared to my trunk. When I put on fat, it goes right on the belly and it looks weird with the stick legs.

(Sounds pretty, huh? :) Boy, am I rambling or what?)

This has actually been studied. The terms are endomorph, mesomorph and some other morph.

My point, if I had one, would be, there's your shape; there' your diet. Even stress levels can have an effect. High levels of cortisol (a stress hormone) put on fat at the middle.

I am currently battling that sneaky five pound weight gain. I eat really well (because I obsess over whole grains :)) Apparently, I eat too much of them. I just can't seem to drop the lbs. But I will!

So, proud Apples! Let us celebrate our round middles even as we attempt to get rid of 'em!

I think we need an apple emotion icon!

Hi Bobbi...

I am also a proud apple! I also have long arms and legs with a short waist. I honestly believe that I have the skinniest legs in Jersey! When I read Cathe's post I was simply blown away to discover the she's an apple as well!

I was wondering if you've ever heard of this book called The Body Code by Jay Cooper. It has diet and exercise suggestions based on body type. Apples would be considered Communicators. The book suggests that communicators limit or eliminate all refined carbs and sugars, caffeine, alcohol, red meats, and cold cuts. I've been doing this for a little over 2 weeks and have lost 3 lbs so far. I even allow myself the cheat day and I eat whatever (and I mean whatever) I want.

He also recommends that we eat plenty of leafy veggies, especially cruciferous (such as broccoli and cauliflower), seaweed, all low-fat proteins, and monofats (like olives and olive oil and flaxseed).

This is just some of what I've following from the book. I highly recommend that you read this book!

Cheryl

Cathe,
Can you give us an example of what your cardio week
might look like.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Her's the reality.

If you're an apple, your midsection will never be as slim as that of a pear. If you're a pear, your hips will never be as slim as those of an apple. This is true no matter how low your bodyfat
gets. This is a simple fact of genetics.

The best thing is to eat a healthy diet in reasonable amounts and accept your body, or consider liposuction if it really bothers you that much.

Cathe looks fabulous as an apple. Tamilee Webb looks fabulous as a pear, but no one would mistake one body for the other.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.