STS question

jldgottarun

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I am hoping htat you will take the time to answer this question. I am trying so hard to fit STS into my teaching rotation. I am on my last week of my first ever STS rotation. My arms are more muscular than ever! Thank you for that! Here is what I have come up with...please tell me what you think. I am going to be teaching 4 fitness classes per week: Monday-Upper body circuit-heavy weights- cardio bursts- pushups-etc. Some weeks I will separate body parts some days, I will do all upper body. Tuesday- Lower body (like your plyo leg workout) Wednesday- All out cardio Tabata class- Thursday- same as Monday- upper body. Okay, here is my plan with STS: I am planning on Saturday starting with hypertrophy and working up to Strength STS, going week by week, and picking ONE exercise from biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, and chest, and doing the same amount of sets for that one exercise that you do on the DVD. So, I will be working my upper body 3X per week, with one set of STS per week. I am hoping that will MAINTAIN the muscles I have worked so hard for during the STS rotation. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!! You are my guru. You are my fitness bibile! You are my role model!!! You are the best, and you always look incredible. So, thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Or should I just do STS total body once a week? Will that, coupled with my metabolic workouts, be enough to maintain the definition I've achieved with STS? Thank you!!!! ❤️

Hi Jodi. I just have a few questions first How long do you have to workout on Saturdays? How heavy are the weights your lifting for upper body (ie: 10's, 12's and 15's?) on Monday and Thursdays? Do you just do one exercise per body part in these classes?

Cathe!!!! Okay! Here's an example of a workout that I teach... Today I did a ladder (1rep up to 10) with pushups/ renegade rows with 12s
Followed by Burpees with swing throughs with a 25 lb.
Followed by triceps pushups paired with biceps curls 20 lb.
then in out squat jumps with squat presses with 15 pounds, then planks with shoulder touch paired with side to side planks with a push-up and finally plank press ups with scissor lunges.

I do high pulls with a 35 lb. during my classes, and I use anywhere from 12s - 25s for upper body. I do a lot of compound moves and when I do isolation it's usually Tabata style (multiple sets). It's pretty intense.
I have plenty of time on Saturdays. Thank you so much for taking your time with me!!!
You are THE BEST. I tell everyone about you, and I gave all of your products/DVDs to my class participants for Christmas!!!

Hi Jodi! I have had answering this question on my "to do" list for 4 days now. I've had multiple work obligations to fulfil right up through the weekend and including yesterday. I WILL answer your question today. Thanks for your patience :)

Hi Jodi! I have had answering this question on my "to do" list for 4 days now. I've had multiple work obligations to fulfil right up through the weekend and including yesterday. I WILL answer your question today. Thanks for your patience :)

Thank you so much, Cathe!!!! You are so, so wonderful! I did 4 DS Bootcamp cardio this morning. So much fun! Haven't done that in ages!! I've been doing all of your different step routines at a very low intensity just to get additional steps in each day. You are so much fun!

Cathe,
Here is the workout I taught today. I stole some moves from you (as I usually do). I do give you full credit though!!!
I did 4 circuits with as many rounds as possible in 6 minutes each:
Circuit 1
16 skater jumps
inch worms-8
ball roll outs- 16
Downdog Pushups on toes-10

Circuit 2
Scissor power lunges- 10 each
swing throughs- 25 lb. 15 reps
mountain climber sprawl with overhead press 12 lb.- 10 reps
15 pushups

Circuit 3
zig zag jumps (Cathe move!)
renegade rows - 10 reps
T Spine Roll with 1 pushup
Ball pass from feet to hands

Circuit 4
Football run - drop and do pushups 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 4, 3, 2, 1 (Cathe move!)
Crossback rear lunges with hop and touch floor- 16 reps
overhead triceps extensions- 25 lb. 12 reps
side plank with 8 leg raises

We got through each circuit 2 times, and my class felt like they were going to die! The workout was harder than it looks on paper!! It was good!

I am trying to get in a workout like that once a week, with lower body focus once a week, and a HiiT or Tabata once a week.

Okay, thank you again for taking your time with me. You are my #1 role model. I am leaving x10 and yoga with my little group next Thursday, as I can't be there to personally teach them. I am going to have them do X10 Cardio blast (I think that is the hardest!), and yoga relax. I am always telling them about you. :) You are amazing.

Hi Jodi! You are so sweet to say those very kind words. Feel free to use my choreo with your classes anytime. I’m glad it supports what you do with your classes. Speaking of which…they are TOUGH. No way did I think it looked easier on paper!! Good for you (and your class)!!!

As for adding STS in with one exercise for each exercise upper body part on Saturdays…I personally don’t think you need to do this with the actual STS workout. I think doing “STS Total Body” once a week (or at least just an all upper body premix from “STS Total Body”) is plenty to maintain your current gains. Just make sure you KEEP YOUR INTENSITY UP when doing “STS Total Body”, remembering that it’s NOT a maintenance workout but rather a third upper high intensity body workout (and possibly lower body too )for the week . Doing this will keep the original STS fresh for when you go back to do it a second time (maybe in 6 months or so).

Here is an article from our blog that contains additional helpful info for you. Cathe Friedrich - How Hard Do You Have to Work to Maintain Muscle?

Good Luck!

Cathe,
Here is the workout I taught today. I stole some moves from you (as I usually do). I do give you full credit though!!!
I did 4 circuits with as many rounds as possible in 6 minutes each:
Circuit 1
16 skater jumps
inch worms-8
ball roll outs- 16
Downdog Pushups on toes-10

Circuit 2
Scissor power lunges- 10 each
swing throughs- 25 lb. 15 reps
mountain climber sprawl with overhead press 12 lb.- 10 reps
15 pushups

Circuit 3
zig zag jumps (Cathe move!)
renegade rows - 10 reps
T Spine Roll with 1 pushup
Ball pass from feet to hands

Circuit 4
Football run - drop and do pushups 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 4, 3, 2, 1 (Cathe move!)
Crossback rear lunges with hop and touch floor- 16 reps
overhead triceps extensions- 25 lb. 12 reps
side plank with 8 leg raises

We got through each circuit 2 times, and my class felt like they were going to die! The workout was harder than it looks on paper!! It was good!

I am trying to get in a workout like that once a week, with lower body focus once a week, and a HiiT or Tabata once a week.

Okay, thank you again for taking your time with me. You are my #1 role model. I am leaving x10 and yoga with my little group next Thursday, as I can't be there to personally teach them. I am going to have them do X10 Cardio blast (I think that is the hardest!), and yoga relax. I am always telling them about you. :) You are amazing.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me, Cathe! I have to tell you, there was a time when I just did the STS total body compound only, and it gave me amazing results! I am always so impressed with you in all ways. You do everything right!!! Have an awesome day! XO

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.