? on Static Lunges

Tricia Haley

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! its an honor to talk to you! I am new to your forum so please forgive me if I filled anything out wrong. I used to be a Firm believer but now I am a Cathe fan! Sounds hokey but true. I find you extremely challenging and I am excited to see what my body is going to do!

My Question is about static lunges. What would be a rule of thumb, advice, tip or encouragement when doing static lunges and one of your legs fatigues before the other? It doesn't mater which leg I start with it seems that when I switch legs I can only do 1/2 of the reps for the other leg. For example today I did Pure Strength Legs. I started with my right leg forward did 16 reps with (2)15pd dumbells then switched legs and by the 8th rep I was struggling. I made it to 14 reps with the same weight but then dropped the weight all together to squeeze out the last 2 reps. Then when I started the 2nd set of static lunges again the same thing happend. I was able to do all reps with the dumbell weight and when I switched legs I struggled with the weight. I did end up completing the 16 reps but I had to put the weight down in about the 8th rep. I feel like my left leg was cheated. Sorry this is so long! I really do like lunges I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. Thanks for your time Cathe. I have your new intensity series and am loving it! You are a beautiful woman and a great roll model for us petite woman.

Tricia M.Haley::7

Welcome Tricia. How nice to meet you. Thank you for your kind words:)

Your situation is a very common one. The reason your legs are so tired after switching sides is because you are actually using BOTH legs when doing static lunges. When in the static lunge position, the front leg is focusing strongly on the glute and hamstring, while the back leg is focusing strongly on the hip flexor, quad, and calf. So when you switch sides, the back leg (which now becomes the front leg)has already worked very hard.

If you are having a tough time getting through the second round, I suggest having a longer rest before doing the other side. Also, as you have already mentioned, each time you do the workout start the static lunges with the opposite leg that you used for the previous workout.

Hope this helps, and again, it was very nice to hear from you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.