Standing leg work necessary?

ellenellen

Cathlete
I hate standing leg work. I always get little twinges and aches in my knees while doing it and so I always worry, although after 2 years of strength training my knees are much stronger. Is it possible to maintain leg muscle strength by doing floorwork only? I want to lean out muscles I have, not build. I have done enough standing leg work for 3 people!

In your opinion Cathe, is floorwork good enough? (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes!)

Cathe, I'm interested in your answer, too. I actually posted a question that got lost a while ago. If you could, would you post some specific, effective examples of quad and glute exercises that can be done on the floor?

Ellen--I have found that deadlifts are a great option for the hamstrings, calf raises are easy on the knees, inner and outer leg lifts work the obvious. I'm struggling to find quad and glute options, as I too feel twinges and aches in my knees with standing leg work. bummer, huh?

Wendy

Bumping up! I have sore knees when I do front & back lunges. I would love to know some good substitute exercies.

Nikki

Hoping Cathe has a minute to see this quesion! I'm supposed to do a standing leg workout today and would really LOVE not having to do those dreaded lunges.

I do have a sinking feeling I know what Cathe would say. That for a well balanced strength training program one needs to include some basic standing leg work.

Hi Ellen!

I hope Cathe sees your post. I know you don't want to hear this, but one real advantage to standing leg work is "weight bearing" exercise which is essential to build strong bones to prevent osteoporosis (HOPE I spelled that right!) I know Cathe would not want you to do lunges if it hurts or compromises your knees. Keep in mind, you don't have to go DEEP to get benefit. Just keep the weight in your heels ands SQUEEZE! Okay, now that I've ruined your day, I hope Cathe can jump in here for you.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)
"If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!"

RE: Hi Ellen!

Hi Debbie,
You bring up something interesting. If I'm doing floorwork I'm using my body weight (and sometimes light weights) as the resistance so wouldn't that be considered "weight bearing"? So wouldn't that benefit my bones as well as doing lunges?

Doing standing floor work doesn't actually hurt or compromise my knees. I just get little twinges and aches while I'm doing standing work. And because of those little twinges I am always super conscious of form etc. And I'm just plain getting sick and bored of doing those moves!

YOu didn't ruin my day Debbie! Thanks for helping me keep this thread alive!

Hi Ellenellen! I know you would love for me to say to eliminate standing leg work, but I can't. Eliminating squats and lunges from a leg routine is the equivalent of eliminating crunches from an ab workout.

Unless you truly can not physically perform these exercises, weight bearing compound exercises, such as squats and lunges, are functional exercises that stress the muscles in ways that they are used in everyday life. Not only will this help prevent osteoporosis but it will help prevent injuries and postural problems brought on by everyday life.

It is always best when weight training, to include exercises that mimmick the body's natural way of movement. In a typical day we bend down to pick things up, walk up and down steps, sit and stand (now you know why I created sit n stands :))as we get out of cars, chairs, sofas etc. All these activities simulate squats and lunges and therefore recruit those muscle fibers. To condition the body in this manner promotes overall longevity and quality of life.

You have stated that your knees have gotten stronger in the last 2 years of weight training and that is absolutely why you need to continue. I know that you favor floorwork and I encourage you to continue with that too. If standing floorwork is not your favorite, then cut down to incorporating it once a week (one VERY FOCUSED time per week). If you ever feel twinges in your knees, try the following in this order:

1)slow down your reps

2)lighten your weight

3)do the exercise without any weight at all

Good Luck!

Squats with a ball

Hi Ellen,

A personal trainer taught me to do squats with a big inflatable ball (I think they're called flexaballs). Stand with the ball between the small of your back and the wall. The ball guides your range of motion so you are moving straight up and down and your weight stays in your heels. This should be gentler on your knees.

To add resistance you can hold a plate weight at your chest. I tried with a barbell but I think that's kind of dangerous because you can't get into the right position without having one hand free.

Caroline

Ah, just as I suspected!

Oh dear,
I knew deep in my heart this would be the answer. Must be why I have still been doing one standing leg workout a week! I've been doing it with very light weights though and so it isn't as much work-but it is not as boring for me either. I just had this suspicion that my butt would fall down the back of my legs if I didn't keep doing those step-ups!

Thank you so much for your advice Cathe (and Caroline too!) and I will continue to incorporate standing work but I will do what you suggest for awhile. I will keep it to once a week, use light or no weight. I guess I needed to be told to keep it up even though it can be tough!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.