Stability Ball recommendation

zortil

I currently have a medium-sized stability ball (65 cm.) that was included with a workout tape by Gaiam. I'm pretty sure I filled it with enough air yet my thighs aren't parallel to the floor. I sort of sink into the ball.

I'm 5'5" and weigh 137. I first bought this ball when I was at my heaviest, 188. At that time, I sank into the ball. I thought I was too heavy so I stored the ball for later usage. I still sink into the ball. I don't know if there's something wrong with this particular balance ball.

Is there a particular brand you recommend for a stability ball?

I currently have a medium-sized stability ball (65 cm.) that was included with a workout tape by Gaiam. I'm pretty sure I filled it with enough air yet my thighs aren't parallel to the floor. I sort of sink into the ball.

I'm 5'5" and weigh 137. I first bought this ball when I was at my heaviest, 188. At that time, I sank into the ball. I thought I was too heavy so I stored the ball for later usage. I still sink into the ball. I don't know if there's something wrong with this particular balance ball.

Is there a particular brand you recommend for a stability ball?

Not Cathe but I teach group fitness and recommend Thera-Band stability balls. You can get them at Fitness Wholesale Online (www.fwonline.com). Go for the original, not the slow deflate. The slow deflates are hard as rock and uncomfortable when in a prone position (I went to their warehouse and tried them out!). You would do well with a 55cm ball (I'm the same height and about the same weight as you and this is a comfortable size.) They have a sizing chart on their website as well. We use these at the fitness center where I teach and when they are properly inflated they are great stability balls.

Not Cathe but I teach group fitness and recommend Thera-Band stability balls. You can get them at Fitness Wholesale Online (www.fwonline.com). Go for the original, not the slow deflate. The slow deflates are hard as rock and uncomfortable when in a prone position (I went to their warehouse and tried them out!). You would do well with a 55cm ball (I'm the same height and about the same weight as you and this is a comfortable size.) They have a sizing chart on their website as well. We use these at the fitness center where I teach and when they are properly inflated they are great stability balls.

Thanks for posting this - just the info I needed! I just bought a ball and then had doubts that I got the right size. I'm 5'4" and have the 55 cm, so it sounds like I did okay.

Hello dcat,

I currently have a 65cm stability ball (it was a standard size that came with workout DVDs). I'm 5' 2" and I need a 55cm ball. While shopping around for one online, I notice that there is quite a price range -- anywhere from around $8 to $40 well beyond that. Is there really a difference in quality (excluding the slow deflates)?

Thanks.

Hi there,
If you are asking if there is a difference in quality from a cheaper to the more expensive balls, in my experience I would say yes, you get what you pay for. But having said that I think $40 is way too much to pay especially when you can get the Thera-Band for between $15 and $20 and get good quality. I think I paid around $12 or $15 for my ball but I didn't pay for shipping as I live close to Fitness Wholesale and just picked it up in person. I think I also bought it during one of their sales and that saved me a few dollars, too.

The first stability ball I ever got came with a video. It was a 65cm and not very firm no matter how much air was in it. It actually was kind of a flimsy, cheap ball. Thera-Band balls (original) have thicker walls and for me have just the right amount of firmness. It made doing pikes much easier and safer, too. I'm sure there are other quality balls out there for about the same price but I like the Thera-Bands!

Hi dcat,

Thanks for the info. I think I had the very same flimsy ball.

I posted something earlier on what is the difference between an 8lb. toning ball and an 8lb. medicine ball, but I didn't see any responses so I'm hoping that you can answer directly. Here's my question: Danskin has toning balls of various weights, but I'm not certain if they are the same as medicine balls. What should I look for and what would be a fair price for one?

You are very fortunate to live near Fitness Wholesale.:)

Hi Mama,
The toning balls are softer and easier to grip than a conventional medicine ball and won't bounce. Med balls typically bounce. I have a med ball that is just like holding a basketball, but it's smaller. The grip on mine isn't the greatest. In fact, it actually left my hands one time doing the ab exercise in Cathe's Boot Camp where you touch it to your toes! Having a ball with a better grip so it doesn't go flying is my preference so the toning balls sound great to me but some med balls are made with a surface for better gripping than the one I have (I think mine's a Nike ball). I can't remember what I paid for mine but I do recall getting it on sale at a local sports shop. It was kind of a hasty purchase and next time I'll consider a ball with a better grip. The heavier it is the more it will cost. Unfortunately, I haven't done much shopping for these balls so I can't give you a real experienced answer on price. It's has been great living near FW. Unfortunately, there's a chance I may be moving!x(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.