squeaky step

fitnessluvr

Cathlete
Do step's wear out? I have gone through two in three years. They seem to squeak everytime my foot hits the step. Has anyone else come accross this?

Do step's wear out? I have gone through two in three years. They seem to squeak everytime my foot hits the step. Has anyone else come accross this?

TWO in THREE years? Wow. I've had my "gym style" step since 1990. I got it when the step first came out. I've used it several times a week since then. It doesn't sqeak or anything.

Mine is starting to wear in terms of the tread pulling from the step in the areas around the logo. It's starting to become a problem since it's easy to catch my foot in it. No squeaking though. That's weird. :eek:

TWO in THREE years? Wow. I've had my "gym style" step since 1990. I got it when the step first came out. I've used it several times a week since then. It doesn't sqeak or anything.

Mine is starting to wear in terms of the tread pulling from the step in the areas around the logo. It's starting to become a problem since it's easy to catch my foot in it. No squeaking though. That's weird. :eek:

I recently found one in a thrift store that is slightly bent. When you step on one corner, the opposite corner lifts up.

I recently found one in a thrift store that is slightly bent. When you step on one corner, the opposite corner lifts up.

Plastic rubbing against plastic (on the interlocking pieces) or maybe against the floor can cause squeaking. Rub a little veggie oil or hairspray or something on it. I guess I don't understand why squeaking is an issue. Is there something more significant the matter, as well?

Plastic rubbing against plastic (on the interlocking pieces) or maybe against the floor can cause squeaking. Rub a little veggie oil or hairspray or something on it. I guess I don't understand why squeaking is an issue. Is there something more significant the matter, as well?

>TWO in THREE years? Wow. I've had my "gym style" step since
>1990. I got it when the step first came out. I've used it
>several times a week since then. It doesn't sqeak or anything.

I've also had my step for over 10 years.
I've never noticed any squeaking.
Are you sure it's the step and not the floor (if you have a wood floor)?
You can also try stacking the risers in a different configuration, which may help you find a better 'fit'.

Another thought: are you sure the squeak is the step itself, and not just the rubber on the bottom of your shoes squeaking against the plastic of the step? If that's the case, there's not much of a fix for it.

>TWO in THREE years? Wow. I've had my "gym style" step since
>1990. I got it when the step first came out. I've used it
>several times a week since then. It doesn't sqeak or anything.

I've also had my step for over 10 years.
I've never noticed any squeaking.
Are you sure it's the step and not the floor (if you have a wood floor)?
You can also try stacking the risers in a different configuration, which may help you find a better 'fit'.

Another thought: are you sure the squeak is the step itself, and not just the rubber on the bottom of your shoes squeaking against the plastic of the step? If that's the case, there's not much of a fix for it.

I've had the squeaky step problem and I don't know if this will help but I noticed the risers that came with my high step are shaped slightly differently on top than the ones that came with my regular step. I tried using the high step risers instead and that solved my problem. The high step risers seem to fit a little more snug than the others so maybe that's why they don't "squeak".

Sue

I've had the squeaky step problem and I don't know if this will help but I noticed the risers that came with my high step are shaped slightly differently on top than the ones that came with my regular step. I tried using the high step risers instead and that solved my problem. The high step risers seem to fit a little more snug than the others so maybe that's why they don't "squeak".

Sue

yes i use wd 40 on it but its good for a while but then goes back to sqeaking then i have to wd40 it again yes it a pain in the neck:) :+ you could put your music up to lessen the sound too bad stepper does really help the buns though

yes i use wd 40 on it but its good for a while but then goes back to sqeaking then i have to wd40 it again yes it a pain in the neck:) :+ you could put your music up to lessen the sound too bad stepper does really help the buns though

Hi Fitnessluvr! Wow, that seems excessive to go through two steps in that short period of time. We have our steps at the gym (with high traffic use daily) last at least 5 years before having issues. My step at home is going on 12 years now and no issues at all.

If you are using sneaks with high treads on the bottom (ie: most running shoes) you will hear a squeaking noise and even sounds of ripping and stripping(cringing just typing it) on hop turns and most pivotal movements. I don't like to use running shoes for step for this reason but even more specifically because they don't offer adequate lateral support for step.

Check to be sure your sweat is not flying around and landing on your step. This will also cause a squeaking noise when your foot comes in contact with it.

Also, keep your step out of direct sunlight. Although this has nothing to do with squeaking, it is a situation that causes it to wear out well before its time. It can cause it to warp and or have edges of grid peel up at corners or bubble up in center.

Hope this helps!

Hi Fitnessluvr! Wow, that seems excessive to go through two steps in that short period of time. We have our steps at the gym (with high traffic use daily) last at least 5 years before having issues. My step at home is going on 12 years now and no issues at all.

If you are using sneaks with high treads on the bottom (ie: most running shoes) you will hear a squeaking noise and even sounds of ripping and stripping(cringing just typing it) on hop turns and most pivotal movements. I don't like to use running shoes for step for this reason but even more specifically because they don't offer adequate lateral support for step.

Check to be sure your sweat is not flying around and landing on your step. This will also cause a squeaking noise when your foot comes in contact with it.

Also, keep your step out of direct sunlight. Although this has nothing to do with squeaking, it is a situation that causes it to wear out well before its time. It can cause it to warp and or have edges of grid peel up at corners or bubble up in center.

Hope this helps!

My step (a studio step) squeaks too. I figured out that it was the plastic rubbing on plastic. I covered the risers w/ a washcloth and the squeak went away. I'll put on some adhesive felt (craft section @ Wal-Mart) for the same effect when I have a spare minute.

My step squeaks/creaks if I use a certain riser. When I changed it out with a different one, the sound went away.

I am glad you posted this. I have had my step board for about 10 years and wondering if I need to replace it at any specific time intervals

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.