Spinning DVDs- More in the future?

mrsprincess07

Cathlete
Cathe,

I am just curious if there are future plans if the sale of the your first Spin DVD go well, to make more?

I wasn't in the market for a Spin Bike myself considering I have to admit, I don't like the other instructors whom currently have Spin DVDs on the market. However, if you plan to continue with this trend with releasing more Spin DVDs in the future, I along with many others, may consider purchasing a Spin Bike.

I am curious about your thoughts! Spinning is something very popular in Gyms and has been for several yrs. If you are able to open this fitness trend to in-home users it may allow many of us to find a *new* fitness favorite.

Same with the Barre....

I have a BIG feeling that the CycleMax is going to go over very well! I can't wait. I've never been disappointed yet. You might want to check Craigslist or garage sales for a Spin bike and possibly you'll get a great deal.

Yes, I will absolutely continue to make more spin DVD's if there is a demand for them in the future. Cycle Max will be my test to see how many people are interested in spin workouts and/or are interested in seeing future spin DVD's.

I'm also trying to get a feel for how many people have spin bikes at home. Using an actual spin bike (along with spin shoes is even better) is the way to go. I have been asked many times if you can modify this workout using a stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical trainer, etc. My answer is that you can modify any workout and still get some benefit from it, but in order to get the absolute best results/benefits from Cycle Max (or any official spin based workout) you should use an indoor spin bike. Actual indoor spin bikes have a heavy, weighted flywheel that is directly mechanically linked to the pedals. This makes them like fixed gear bikes, in that if you stop pushing on the pedals, they will tend to keep spinning due to the inertia of the flywheel. This makes for a much faster/higher pedaling cadence. Regular bikes or non-spin exercise bikes don't do this.

Hope this provides you with some extra insight on spin bikes!

some additional info

Advantages of using a spin bike verses a regular bike:

1) Spin bike has a nice lever with the full range of resistance immediately available.

2) The fixed wheel helps improve your pedaling technique and cardiovascular fitness

3) More adjustment options for reach, handlebar height, seat height

4) They are generally better put together.

As far as using CYCLE MAX on the elliptical or treadmill… again, anything can be modified to get something out of it, however, your results, benefits and overall experience will be entirely different. My guidance, coaching, terminology, drills, intensity levels will all not align properly with that of the modified piece of equipment, hence, the integrity of the intended workout will be lost.

spin shoes?

I'm also trying to get a feel for how many people have spin bikes at home. Using an actual spin bike (along with spin shoes is even better) is the way to go.

Spin SHOES?! :eek: Didn't even know they existed, lol! Off to do some research.........

Thanks for the info, Cathe, that was very informative (as you can see by my ignorance of Spin shoes :eek: )

Cathe,

Thank you for the response! I've read some of the threads here about the actual spin bikes home users have and I think I have found one on amazon for a great deal! I think I am going to take the plunge and give it a shot!!

FYI- for others like myself that are new to Spin and not wanting to spend too much for a bike (in case it ends up as a coat rack) Amazon has one for $299 with really great reviews. Not the spiff ones in the gyms but certainly good enough to use 2-3x per week.

KiKi,

FYI, spinning shoes are special shoes that lock into the pedals. The shoes are then actually attached to the pedals. I have never used them but my BF is a rider and uses them.

He says you get a better workout since you are then attached to the bike. If you don't use spin shoes, as your RIGHT leg pushes forward & pedals down, it works the RIGHT leg. But as the RIGHT leg keeps pedaling and rotates back, around and up, it isn't getting a workout (the LEFT leg is then the one using the power to pedal). With the spinning shoes, as the RIGHT leg pushes forward and pedals down, it gets a workout, and it also gets a workout as it rotates back, around and up since it is attached to the pedal and you use your RIGHT leg to also pull the pedal up.

So you use each leg to not only push the pedal down, but to also pull the pedal up.

I was going to get some for outdoor riding but was worried I would "forget" to unclip (unattach) my pedals from my bike when I stopped the bike and would fall over! You can easily unclip (just twist your foot slightly) but I knew I would forget.

I'm going to buy them now though for Cathe's indoor workout. Can't fall at home.

I just wanted to add to Gobias's response.

Spin shoes definitely make a HUGE HUGE difference. I own them and couldn't enjoy my classes without them.

When I first bought them it took about three full workouts to get used to them , but once I adjusted, I could barely tolerate a ride with regular sneaks.

That being said...I have spin shoes but NOT the clips that fasten the shoe into the pedal. I just wear the spin shoe and use the "cage straps" that hold your foot in place verses the underside of the spin pedal that has a place for you to clip your shoe into place. While I am aware that my legs are not getting the exact same benefits as when clipped into pedals, it bothered my knees overtime when I tried to release the clip from the pedal. I felt too much torque on my knee.

But I DO love the firmness and stiffness (which is bonus for spinning) of the shoe. It offers great support to my arches and overall foot and allows me to get a great focused ride.

So when I ride, I make all my bike adjustments (which only has to be done once if you own your own bike) before class, hop on the seat and slide my spin shoe into the strapping cage to secure my foot. I can sit, stand, jump, climb hills, do sprints, etc. perfectly fine.

If I were to just use my regular fitness shoe, the softness of the shoe wouldn't provide ample support for the feet and therefore overtime your feet, ankles, calves, quads and hamstrings would fatigue prematurely due improper foot support.

You can find spin shoes to be priced fairly. Just like regular fitness shoes, you can go anywhere from $60 to higher for top of the line shoes. I bought a pair for $69 and they have lasted me for a very long time.

Hope this helps!

I've been looking at the expense for spin bikes, (OMG!) I didn't realize how expensive they are. I may not be able to get one.:(

It saddens me that I may be left behind.

Janie

Spin Bikes

You can find Spin bikes for $299 and up which is a lot less than a treadmill, but yes still an investment.

Hi Janie! You might be looking atthe prices for a commercial unit. The home use spin bikes are much less. I've seen them go on sale for around $299. I know even that is a lot of money but wow, what a heck of a non-impact workout....you won't regret your purchase.

If you are able to tuck away say $20 per week you could have it paid off in less than 4 months. That's not that far away :)

Just trying to help you find a way :)

I've never understood the proper way to adjust the height of the seat on a bike. Is there a rule of thumb for that? I know it's important to get the best benefit from your ride. Thanks.

Also, what are the important elements to look for when purchasing a spin bike? HELP!

Spin Bike- Chain or Belt?

I posted this ? elsewhere on the forums but I thought I'd add here too-

I am looking at a couple of bikes at range from $289-299 but they use a chain on the fly wheel. However the more expensive models use a belt.

Is there really a difference with a Chain vs a Belt? Quality or noise perhaps? I just don't want to spend $300 for a bike to find out that the chain is a "no-no".

I know you can buy spin shoes online, but can anyone recommend a place to buy them in store? I tried Sports Authority but they don't sell them, and I don't feel comfortable buying shoes (especially specialty shoes) online.

Yes, I will absolutely continue to make more spin DVD's if there is a demand for them in the future. Cycle Max will be my test to see how many people are interested in spin workouts and/or are interested in seeing future spin DVD's.

Yea! Here's one vote for many more spin workouts.

I just got a spin bike tonight and I am so excited! I had been looking at new ones, but also was checking Craigslist. I was able to find an older Star Trac bike for $250. Now I am even more excited to get the new series! Earlier today I found myself thinking about spinning DVDs and hoping Cathe would make more. She is the only instructor I like!

Thank you Cathe!

Hi Janie! You might be looking atthe prices for a commercial unit. The home use spin bikes are much less. I've seen them go on sale for around $299. I know even that is a lot of money but wow, what a heck of a non-impact workout....you won't regret your purchase.

If you are able to tuck away say $20 per week you could have it paid off in less than 4 months. That's not that far away :)

Just trying to help you find a way :)

Thank you Cathe so much for the looking out for me. I'll do just that (tuck away some money every month). Soon I'll have a spin bike. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Any suggestions on what bran to purchase?

Janie

I know this is kinda old, but I just wanted to add to:

<q>If I were to just use my regular fitness shoe, the softness of the shoe wouldn't provide ample support for the feet and therefore overtime your feet, ankles, calves, quads and hamstrings would fatigue prematurely due improper foot support. </q>

I had softer-soled SPD cleats (The kind that spin bikes used), which I used for outside riding. I ended up getting tendonitis, in both ankles. Harder-soled shoes helped that greatly (as well as knee pain). Just a warning, for those who are looking at buying spin shoes. I am not sure if the same would have happened for just a few spin classes a week; in fact I will still wear them when I switch to spin class, because my shoes have different cleats but.....better safe than sorry for anyone in the market who tends to have weak ankles. When I do replace them, I will by stiffer-soled shoes.

I'd also highly recommend going to a good local bike store to buy them from an associate who knows a lot about cycling shoes. You'll pay more than getting the deals online, but with my problematic feet as I was more than happy to pay that for the service I got.

As another fyi...most cycling shoes run narrow, due to the width between the foot and the pedal arm. If you have a wide foot, you mention it to the associate. You may have to be patient and try more pairs on.

Be sure to get the SPD-cleat compatible shoes (Shimano is a common brand), not LOOK or SIDI.

Yeaaaaaaaa for cycling and yeaaaaaaaa for spinning!!!!!! :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.