Something's wrong!!!!

strong@heart

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I have been working out religiously for 7 years (yes, along with weights) Have been doing The Firm mostly and recently incorporated your workouts. I must say, you teach a "mean" class, girl! Love 'em! O.k. here's my question: I am currently using 25# barbell for most of the leg exercises (i.e., squats, lunges, etc..) and on upper body it varies but I have noticed that I am not able to complete most sets with a heavier weight like the weight used by the girls in the videos. I am so discouraged because I feel that I should be able to increase my poundage by now but feel like it just about kills me and I don't want to risk my form either. And as for push-ups, good golly...they are the most challenging for me!!!! I am lucky to complete 10 with a straight leg. Talk about a wimp, eh?? I guess what I would like to know is ...Will I even get those wonderful "cuts" and some nice lean muscle mass when all I am currently using is low poundage? I am really beating myself up about this and definitely feel discouraged. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I would greatly appreciate any input. :)

I am sure you would still like a response from Cathe, but once again, I can not help but step (!) in with this... About your "low poundage" Are you eating enough protein? I swear that once I started getting more protein I was able to lift more. Jeanne

This is a great question, because I have been stuck at the same poundage as you, forever. I tried increasing it, because they go so heavy on the tapes, but wasn't completing most of the sets, and not to mention almost out of breath. I have increased the amount of push-ups by 1 at a time, and I can go up to 12 reps or so, if I want to complete a 2 or 3 sets of them. I eat protein at every meal, so I don't think this would play a role in me gaining strength. Then again, I may be wrong, but I too do not understand why I have been working out for so long, and yet can't increase poundage.

Could you be overtraining? Don't forget, that it's only at rest when your muscles grow. They DON'T grow while you're working out.

When I was competitive bodybuilding, an afternoon nap was ordered by my boss.

Kim, I have been doing about 4-5 wt. training/wk and 3-4 cardios/wk. Should I not do cardio on leg days?

I can't tell you what's right for you. We all have different tolerances. Check yourself against some of the overtraining symptoms:

Difficulty Sleeping
Excessive tiredness
Amenorea (sp?)

I can't remember them all and I'm in a hurry right now. Check a website like ACE and get the list. There's about 8-10 symptoms.

Okay, I'm less in a hurry now. Had to get to piano lessons, then karate lessons, and not neglect homework in the process. Then there's this ritual we do every evening called dinner!!!! Well, you get the picture . . .

I looked in my manual to get the overtraining symptom list. Here it is . . .

decreased performance
loss of coordination
prolonged recovery time
elevated morning heart rate
headache
loss of appetite
muscle soreness/tenderness
gastrointestinal disturbances
decreased ability to ward off infections (ie colds, etc)

I have to be very careful about overtraining. I've severely overtrained a year or two ago for several months. Once you've overtrained once, your body goes into that overtraining state easier the next time.

I get a lot of good info from American Council on Exercise "Fit Facts." Their website is www.acefitness.org

Well, I have 7 of those symptoms, sounds like I've been overtraining for a while and didn't know it, so thanks for the information. I will check out that website.

Kim,
Thanks for all the info! I am started to wonder if I, too, am overtrainig. Is it possible to overtrain with the lighter poundage? I mean, I always thought it was with heavier weights but maybe I'm wrong???

Like I said earlier, everyone is different. If you think you might be, check yourself against the list of symptoms. Even beyond that, do you dread exercising or look forward to it? Do you feel energized afterward or exhausted? You know yourself better than anyone.

If you're uncertain whether you're overtraining or not, it will not be the end of the world to take a week or two completely off and give your body a break. I took an entire month off last December -- had to force myself, but I did it. It was amazing how many tiny aches and pains that went away with some rest.

My hips are bothering me now and I know it's from too much step. When they begin hurting, I go down to a 4" step for a while. (If you are intense, you can get an awesome workout on a 4" step -- no kidding.) SInce I'm paid to step, it's hard to just stop. But I've started at 2 other gyms now for a total of 3, and only one of them has the 4" steps available. Sooooo, I TOO have a big decision to make about myself.

Kim,
You give the best advice!

Lourdy,
Working each body part a minimum of twice per week is an excellent guideline when it comes to getting fit. Too much more than that can get you to the "point of diminishing returns". If you don't allow your muscles to rest and repair themselves they can't function effectively. I know you are watching your diet and working out, you should feel great! Strong with lots of energy. Sometimes less is more!

Strong@heart,
Have you tried the Slow/Heavy? I can use 50 pounds for squats and 40 for lunges using Slow/Heavy because it is so controlled and I can "feel" my form well enough to go through each rep safely. For the quicker tapes I drop substantially.

Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.