Someone please clarify for me...

eternalEfit

Cathlete
I'm a tad confused...there is a recommendation that in order to burn fat, aerobic exercise is to longer than 20 min, and if done longer, say 30-40 mins, would be a greater benefit. Let's say I did a video in which the warm-up that was 10 minutes long, then did 30 minutes cardio, then 5 min cooldown. Does the 15 minutes of w/u and c/d count? Or is it just the 30 mins in-between?
:-hummm
I know of the THRR, but not a whole lot about it...
Thanks for un-confusing me in advance!
Myra :D

Generally the warm ups and cooldowns do not count for cardio because your heart rate is not elevated enough in either phase. To burn more fat all it really takes is to burn more calories overall. Don't let yourself get confused about time and heart rate percentages. Just work out consistently and you will be burning fat. I have found personally that my cardio sessions need to be a minimum of forty minutes to be effective for weight maintenance. It really depends on the individual and you juat have to play around with the FIT principle--
F--frequency
I--intensity
T--time (duration) and type of exercise

These different variables work differently on each individual. You just need to find the formula that works for you. Greater frequency and less intensity or maybe the opposite. You may find a certain duration gives you results. As a trainer I try to get people to think in terms of trial and error. There is no perfect way to exercise that's right for everyone. Try a particular formula for six weeks and then try another and another. See what your body best responds to. Post with anymore questions.

Best wishes, Cyndie

Thank you much for sharing your pro-knowledge Cyndie!!

I now know that in order for a 30-40 minute cardio workout to be "effective" for me, is that I must adjust the intensity higher than usual...
I've been participating/teaching step/floor/kickboxing classes for cardio for so long now I need a break and thought I'd venture into running for cross-training. Even though I'm in great condition for classes, my running form needs work! I thought I'd start off slow, 30-40 minutes until I progress in a 10min w/u, 40min run, 10min c/d. I just couldn't remember (and feeling lazy to look in my AFAA manual) if the w/u and c/d periods counted...in some videos, like Kathy Smith & Crunch Fitness, they say all you need is 30min TOTOL...I was wondering if the cardio standard changed since the time I was certified for group fitness (1999). Oh well, I'm seeing that it's all with the FIT principle now.
Thanks for re-opening my eyes!
Myra :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.