Side Push Ups

mmis29

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I attempted to do the side push ups in the hardcore high step workout, and couldn't even squeeze ONE out. Any tips or exercise suggestions for becoming strong enough to do them? I'm not really sure which exercises target that area.
Thanks!

Marianne-

I remember the first time I attempted these, I fell flat on my side! :) You'll get better.

Vary your hand placement- closer to your waist, closer to your shoulder, and see what works for you. Keep your hand fairly close to your body, and if it works better for you, put your resting hand around your shoulder rather than your waist. (Think of patting yourself on the opposite shoulder.)

These recruit more triceps than a regular pushup and that is the muscle group you should focus on. Well, focus on not falling over and your triceps!! ;)

Remember, too, that the range of motion on this move is very small. Even Cathe and crew don't move more than a foot or so. It's kind of like you're laying on your side and pushing yourself up out of bed. Like the previous poster indicated, once you get your hand position figured out, you'll be able to do them. They do target the triceps quite well.

You could also substitute with tricep push-ups until you build up the strength for these: keep your elbows close to your sides when doing a push-up (you may need to go to your knees for these, even if you usually do push-ups on your toes, as they are challenging). You will be lifting less weight per arm with this substitution, but if you do two sets per one set of the side-tricep push-ups, that will help compensate.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.