sick..can't workout..muscles "mush" :(

W

wendy

hi cathe!!!

gee..i have a question for ya....

i'm a 'workout-a-holic' (self-confessed!
happy.gif
)..

i have the flu, right now..bleh... and haven't been able to workout for about a week...

it seems when i stop working out for even a few days...(let alone a week!)..my muscles..esp my arms..loose all definition...and just become 'mush' (and bigger...)...waaahh!

up to now, i've been happy w/ my results..going lighter weights more reps...pilates etc...

is it just a "genetic" (oh no!)...thing...w/ how the body responds?

i noticed there have been times when you've taken off...or others for illnesses..but you don't seem to lose your 'progress/foundation'...(does that make sense?)

is it just me?? when i get well..will i have to start.."all over again?"... :(... or will it just 'kick back in' (pls say yes!! hehe)

i'm trying to figure out 'when to start back'..and w/ what type of workout..non-aerobic..and more 'yoga', maybe?? sigh...

feeling 'fat and sick'... :p (and kinda whining...sorry!
happy.gif
)

thanks so much!

wendy

Just read about this in Women's Sports & Fitness magazine

According to Women's Sports & Fitness magazine, you don't really experience any strength losses for almost two weeks of non-exercise. And it's more like four weeks before the losses are significant.

Their chart shows:
Days 1 through 2: your adrenaline and beta-endorphin levels drop, which makes your mood head south.
Days 3 through 5: your muscles become "tight," so touching your toes becomes difficult.
Days 7 through 9: you have trouble sleeping and your attention span is shorter. The body's ability to use oxygen -- your VO2 max -- drops by 5 percent.
Days 11 through 13: your maximum heart rate and cardiac output start to fall. Your body's ability to perform endurance activities declines by about 15 percent. No more running 7-minute miles.
Days 14 - 16 : energy production in your muscle cells dwindles; you have that logy feeling.
OK it goes on like this, all the way to 30 days and beyond, but you get the idea.

I can't answer the rest of your questions, but I thought this info was interesting. Hope you're feeling better soon. Rest and fluids, rest and fluids.

Daphne

Hi Daphne!

That sounds like an interesting article. Can you tell me which issue of Women's Sports and Fitness it was in. I would like to get it and read it.

I'm not sure which issue

I think it was dated December. I JUST purchased it last week at an airport news stand in New York, so I would guess that it is their most recent issue. I wish I could remember what was on the cover, but I don't.

I read the magazine from cover to cover, but threw away everything but the article I quoted. The article was on pages 120-121 and is called, "How fast do you lose it?" (Well, if they're talking about memory, I lose it almost instantaneously.) It is a good article and quotes 4 or 5 different exercise physiologists and sports physicians, affiliated with different universities and hospitals. If I see it again, I'll make a note of the date.

thanks daphne! yep..'losing att span!!' :O

daphne,

thanks so much for the response...that's really helpful...
happy.gif

well...i think i'm at the 'losing attention span' point......and mood has definitely 'already' (ha!) headed south'..hehe

well..at least i'm feeling a bit better, and i know i have a few weeks before i totally 'lose it'!
happy.gif
...until then....rest and fluids, indeed!!

then...'flu shot or bust'!!! hehe

thanks again!

wendy

R-E-S-T!

Hi Wendy! The flu is much more serious than working out with a head cold. You really need to rest, drink lots of fluids, and NOT WORKOUT(I know you didn't want to hear that). Most flu's take a couple of weeks(in some cases longer)to push through your system. Because they take such a toll on your body, you really need to come back to exercise at a very controlled and gradual pace. Relapse is so common for those who hurry back. As far as what to start back with and when, I would say that as long as you have really gotten this flu out of your system, you can resume your usual fitness routine BUT AT HALF THE FREQUENCY, INTENSITY AND DURATION. Meaning less days, less time spent on the activity, and less intensity. Do this for atleast the first two weeks back. Then gradually add on another day, more workout time, and more intensity. Your body will probably feel very sluggish for your cardio activities(depending on the severity of your flu)for the first two weeks and possibly even a third. Then it will suddenly pick up speed again. Weight training should be done with light weights for two weeks and if you feel able, start going back to your regular weight by week three. Your muscles have great memory. Even though you may initially feel like you lost a lot of strength, you will suddenly notice a rapid return around week three. Don't stress about losing some of your fitness gains. You need all of your energy to fight your cold. Look on the positive side, fitness gains come back faster than they initially took to get. Take care and REST!

Brooke Shields

Hi Cathe and Daphne!

Yes, I believe it is the December issue. I remember it has Brooke Shields on the cover.

Cheers,
Jessica

thanks, cathe!! :D

thanks cathe!!

i know i've been hearing i need to rest...sigh..

but..now that i've heard it from YOU!...(i will comply!..
happy.gif
)

i'll try and be good!... (hey, an "viable excuse not to do interval max!! hehehehe)

thanks again, for your response and good wishes!!

you're the 'bestest'!!
happy.gif

wendy

I know how you feel!

Wendy, I hope you feel better soon! What a bummer to have the flu, especially this time of year. I know how you feel about not being able to work out, and the fat, sloppy feeling you're describing! I have a stress fracture in my hip (misdiagnosed as tendinitis for 2 months, long story) and I just found out Monday (because I switched doctors) that I can't do ANY cardio or lower body work for AT LEAST 3-4 weeks! Not even swimming or biking! It's only been two days, and already I could swear that my seat is spreading! I don't know how I'll be able to tolerate this for a month or longer! And I probably won't be able to step or run for 3-6 months. I'm on crutches now. I'm trying to convince myself that this will be best for my recovery in the long run, but it's hard to do. Rest up, and feel better, we have to take care of our bodies.
happy.gif

Kristin

oh kristin!! :O hang in there!!

kristin...

ohmgosh!! you poor thing!!! wow...'stress fracture'...sounds serious!! yikes!!

gee...take care of yourself!!

hmmm...well..look at it this way...."your upper body is gonna be awesome w/ all the 'weight bearing' w/ the crutches and all"..
happy.gif

"your one leg...will be 'stronger'!!
happy.gif
holding up the whole bod!!
happy.gif

"and your abs!! whew!...suckin those babies in ..throughout the course of the day...isometric contraction...yeah!!"
happy.gif

so..all in all..you'll be 'stronger and even more fit' in your body...just 'one leg' will have to "catch up" later...
happy.gif

gooooooo kristin!! a 'walkin/hobblin..
happy.gif
workout machine"!!!
happy.gif
'creative workouts'!!..
happy.gif
you'll have some 'new moves' to share w/ us!!
happy.gif

hang in there!! i'll be thinkin of you!! please let us know how you're doing!!!

have a happy thanksgiving!!

great to hear from you!

take care!

wendy

Oh My!

Hi Kristin! I had no idea that your stress fracture was so severe. How long do you have to be on crutches(for the 3 to 4 weeks that you have to stop cardio and lower body)? I can understand your frustration(I had a 9 month recovery from reconstructive knee surgery) but sometimes these kinds of set backs prove to have positive outcomes. Many times you will learn new ways to design workouts, develop a keen sense of body awareness, and develop a whole new appreciation and respect for your body. You are an upbeat person(even though we all have down days here and there) so I'm sure that you will come out of this a champion. Best of luck for a strong and thorough recovery. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks, Cathe, for being so encouraging

My doctor wants me on crutches for the 3-4 weeks, just to rest the femur. After that he said that I'll probably be able to start to ride the bike and swim. Actually, I think I found an alternative cardio workout today--my husband and I were in the grocery store picking up some last minute trimmings for the table, and I was sprinting up and down the aisles on my crutches. My heartrate was really up there!
happy.gif
Although, I think I'm going to have to change my upper body focus to endurance for the next few weeks--heehee! Happy Thanksgiving!

Kristin

Heehee!

You've definitely given me lots to think about!
happy.gif
I hope you're feeling better soon (ya think turkey and dressing will help to cure you?)!

Kristin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.