Shoulders, Back, Posture Arrrrrgggggg

amy

Hey Cathe (or anyone!),

Well I've been lurking here for quite a while, and I must say, I'm so impressed you take the time to answer questions (all of you)!! You really have made me a convert to step too. Ok, well honestly, I'm still struggling through--but getting a little better every day!

Anyway, my question sort of builds on the earlier question about rounded shoulders/dowagers hump. (I have both of those badly!)
but I need advice about general posture. I not only round at the shoulders, I tend to collapse at the waist/mid back (like right below the ribs?.
I've struggled with this since I was a child, so I'm thinking I have weak back muscles--but which ones do I work for this!!!

I've been doing 'pinches' lat work etc. but it doesn't seem to be helping.
Any advice out there?

Oh, as long as I'm asking, my head also tips forward at the neck..(laughing here, I'm painting a gorgeous picture here aren't I?)
Anyway, any and all help appreciated!!!

Amy,

I have had similar problems myself. A few years back I suffered from neck pain and headaches as a result of my alignemt. I saw a physical therapist who had me using resistance bands and exercises which were really light weight compared to what I was used to strengthtraining-wise. I abandoned the therapist for a chiropracter which helped me to become aware of alingment.

I think you are on the right track to use weight training to strengthen your muscles and realign them. The trick is to get the alignment absolutely correct so that you don't train your muscles in a way which actually enhances the slouch. Alot of it is simple awareness, mentally checking your alingnmet and then bringing the shoulders back, holding your head over the neck. I have found keeping my chin parallel to the floor helps. This was recommended to me by a rolfer (rolfing is another type of bodywork). You might even consider a personal trainer initially to help you get your alignment correct.

Over the past few years, my posture has improved tremendously! Of course, strength training is but one way. Yoga and pilates are also excellent options. Remember, quite a number of the things we do daily actually enhance the tendency to round forward. Sitting at the computer is a prime example. I constantly catch myself slumping over or sliding down in my chair.

So I say, "sit up, suck in your stomach, pull your shoulders back, press your back against the chair! After awhile you catch yourself immediately and good posture becomes second nature!

Yikes, I am long-winded, aren't I? Good luck and keep us posted!

Peace,
B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/flower.gif obbi

Bobbi,
Thanks! great ideas...
I have been thinking about a chiropractor, but I've felt sheepish going in without a specific 'problem'.
Plus I'm a lil scared of doctors of all kind1 : )

I really liked my chiropractor. She really gave me an awareness, particularly about how tension manifests itself as neck and head pain.

Cathe is another terrific source of information on posture and form! I've found strengthening my core has been instrumental in getting the whole of my body aligned.

I actually started with my General Practioner (HMO-had to get a referral) and worked my way through a number of caregivers until I found the ones who got to the root of the problem. Trust your instincts and you'll do great!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/flower.gif obbi

One thing I have to be very careful about is not to overdue chest exercises. I tend to build muscle very easily in the chest and it is harder to build in the back. Therefore my chest muscles will pull the shoulder forward and rounded. I usually only do half of the chest exercises on a video and really concentrate on going heavy on the back. I swim also, so the chest gets a workout there. The other thing that helps me is to see a massage therapist every now and then to work out the tightness in the chest and back. I have really concentrated the last year on this, and the massage therapist has really seen a big difference in my posture.

Dorothy

Fewer pushups?? yeaaaaaaa!!!!!
I LIKE that idea Swimmom..thanks.

I really think that the root of the problem is the alignment over my hips and weaker mid back muscles..all ideas are appreciated!!!

I find it very important to do rear shoulder and upper back exercises. One good exercise for posture is rhomboid pinches. One way to do it is seated in a chair. With a medium weight (10# 15 #--see what works for you) dumbbell in each hand. Bend forward, keeping your core supported (abs in). Then shrug the weights up, as if you are doing a trap shrug (but targeting other muscles). Hold for a beat at the top, then release under control. Like other exercises, choose a weight you can use for 10-12 reps, with the last rep being hard to do with perfect form. Also good for posture is pilates or yoga.
The "superman" exercise Cathe does in S & H is also good for the spinal erectors, which help with posture.

Hi Amy! Correcting poor posture requires a daily and constant effort. At first it seems very uncomfortable but then suddenly it becomes second nature. You want to strive to have good posture at all times, that means while sitting, standing, driving, etc. Any oppurtunity you have you want to be thinking about your posture and making sure that you are properly aligned. You also want to be sure that you are getting enough calcium in your diet since this directly influences the integrity of your bones. Finally you want to keep doing exercises that promote good posture. These are all exercises that relate to the core, spine, chest, back (rhomboids and trapezius most specifically), shoulders and trunk region.

Here are some exercises that you will want to focus on:

1) Modified or advanced planks (core/trunk region)
2) Crunches (abdominal region)
3) Superman lifts (low back region)
4) Rear Delt Flys (back of shoulder/trapezius/spinal region)
5) Shrugs (trapezius and shoulder region)
6) Wall Isolation Squat (trunk/leg region)
7) Bench Press with a focus on maintaining a retracted shoulder(chest/spinal region)

The hardest part is being aware of your posture constantly. Keeping good alignment while doing all of your daily activities is paramount! Good Luck!

You all are so great. Thanks for the help
I love this forum!!
Thanks Cathe and everyone!!!!!

You may want to investigate Pilates. Pilates stresses neutral pelvis and spinal alignment (which are the key to great posture) by building core strength. A few pointers to think about throughout your day and while exercising are:

Pull your navel into your spine - don't flatten the low back but maintain the nature curvature.

Pretend you have a helium balloon attached to your head pulling you up to the ceiling.

Keep you chest open and your shoulders relaxed.

Keep the back of your neck long.

Keep you weight balanced between the toes and the heels of your feet.

Hope this helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.