Shoulder Presses

maureen

Cathlete
Why is it important when doing shoulder presses to keep the barbell in front of you instead of overhead? What happens if on the last few reps the barbell is going overhead instead of to the front? Thanks.

I do not have formal education in exercise physiology. I have been working out for ~13 years and read lot of muscle mags. With that preface I answer.

I think that if the barbell moves backwards that you take the workload off the front of the shoulders. And maybe it does something not-so-great for the shoulder joints which are prone to injury. For me, personally, it might cause my neck to get kinked up (as I sit here imitating the bad move!).

I think you'd be better off skipping the last few reps or lightening the load in the first place.

I agree! Keeping the bar slightly forward is much more comfortable for me, it seems to keep the work to the shoulder. Also, I've noticed that if I push it up directly overhead, then my back arches to heave that weight! Ouch, ouch!

Well, I know I'm not smart enough to keep from hitting myself in the head if I push the barbell straight overhead. :-wow

As it is now, I just manage to hit myself in the chin as I'm raising it (I'm not kidding, either. I'm a klutz.)

> I agree! Keeping the
>bar slightly forward is much
>more comfortable for me, it
>seems to keep the work
>to the shoulder. Also,
>I've noticed that if I
>push it up directly overhead,
>then my back arches to
>heave that weight! Ouch,
>ouch!

The back arch thing is exactly what I have a hard time preventing. Isn't it during MIS shoulder presses that Cathe says, "Don't arch your back"? The whole time this is what I'm struggling not to do! Overhead Presses are difficult for me. The heaviest I can comfortably go is 24 lbs, or two 12# dumbbells.
Jeanne

I just read in an old magazine this morning that if you move the bar too far back you limit the range of motion in your shoulders. I assume that you then don't work the muscle as fully. Jeanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.