Should Abs Burn.....

Faythe

Cathlete
Hi,
I have been working out seriously since May of this year. I have a question, when I have over done a workout in the past and done say 2 sets of (the Firms 5 day abs) plus whatever ab work that is on a video, I have felt it and been hurting for a few days afterward. But now, that I am trying to stick with a 5-10 minute a day workout with abs, daily I don't get that burn afterward. I feel my abs working while I am doing the ab-work but not afterward..I am wondering if I am working hard enough, or long enough??

Second, I use to sweat 2 x more than I do now, but I feel I am working harder, but things are just easier so I push it further (ie. cardio) and I know it's not summer anymore and the basement isn't as humid, so that may have something to do with it, not to mention my 2 big fans blowing right at me. But I feel guilty because I don't sweat as much. Does that happen when you are getting fitter? (I still soak my clothes and headband)

One more question, how does everyone get those happy faces on their post? They are so cute, they wink and everything...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Faythe

Regarding the "sweat" question . . .

At the ACSM conference in Las Vegas last June, there was an afternoon seminar on sweat. The quick version of it is that your sweat glands are like any other body part in that the more they get worked, the more efficient they become at cooling your body down.

When they get more efficient, you will break a sweat quicker and will sweat in more places on your body.

So if you're working out just as hard, I would attribute the lack of sweat to either the big fans, the lack of humidity, or the room temperature.

The Ab thing has always been a source of controversy with women. I've seen instructors do basic crunches in class for 15 minutes non-stop. I like to work abs like any other body part using weight and low repetitions -- who would do 500 bicep curls in one workout????

Cathe, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese give some AB advice!!!! Yours are awesome!!!

Hi Faythe! You are just in too darn good of shape for your own good;-)! Some people sweat more than others regardless of how hard they work out, but yes, as you become fitter, you may find that it takes longer to break a sweat (although the things you mentioned will play a great factor in how much you sweat). As far as you abs, try doing more non-traditional ab work along with your traditional work to shock your muscles. Just as with any muscles, when they get too used to a workout they need either a longer or harder workout to get them to respond. Good Luck!

Iam one of those people who hardly sweats. If I comment in class that Iam dying someone will say "but your not even sweating". Well, I'll tell ya my heart is pumping out of my body. I don't think you should base how hard you are working out by how much you are sweating. I like the "perceived excersion" method where you pick a number from 1-10 on how you feel, if you can talk, ect...

I also like to do abs at a slow pace. I don't see the benefit of doing a zillion crunches as fast as you can.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.