shorter step

olga

Dear Cathe,
I would like to try your step videos, but the problem is
I am not ready to buy a full length step (44" length) - because of both price and space. Do you think it is possible to exercise with your videos with a shorter version of the step (25" by 15")? Do you think it will be easy to modify steps? In particular I am going to start with Circut Max ( I bid on it on ebay) - do you use full step for this video?
Another less related question: ebay seller offers some cheaper step called "The Step XT" - do you know anything of this brand?

Thanks!
Olga

Hi Olga! All of my step tapes involve a full size step. While I'm sure you could modify the steps with a smaller step, I must be honest and tell you that you will get a better workout with a full size step.

I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with this other step brand that you mention. Take Care!

Thanks for such a prompt reply!
One more question: would you know where I can buy a step apart from the "sports authority"? I called Walmart and Target - they don't sell steps. Buying online is a problem because of the shipping cost.
Thanks in advance for the advise!

Olga

I had a smaller step and it really caused me havoc and almost an injury. I'd really suggest splurging or put the full length step on your Christmas list. It's worth knowing you won't step off of it and twist something. If you're anything like me, I tend to be a bit clutzy...:)

I have a smaller step (it is a Keli Roberts step) and it looks like a smaller version of the step in Cathe's videos. I have ALWAYS ALWAYS wondered if i was jipping myself out of a better workout because of the smaller (both less wide, and not as long) step, even tho i do it on 2 risers.
Do you guys (girls) really think that it would be worth investing in a regular size step? would the workout be that much better? If so, i would buy a bigger step in a heartbeat. I do work up a good sweat on the smaller one. Please advise!! Thanks.

also, does anyone have the Reebok step, which goes to 10 inches? or do you all like the "say step" step?

Lynne

I went from using a small step for my Cathe videos to using The Step last summer (was my birthday present) and I DEFINITELY get a better workout on the full size step, plus it ups the fun factor by a ton! I ordered my step online, but I can't remember where I got it. It was one of those auction type sites, where the more people buy an item the lower the price gets. I think I paid only about 50.00. Maybe check the Bargains forum on VF? Definitely worth every penny, I'd do it again and gladly pay double in a second, best fitness buy ever!
Jackie

This is a really OLD thread, but I'm glad I found it. I just now realized I have the shorter version of the Original Step (made by the same company, but marketed as the Studio Step http://www.fwonline.com/krs.htm ). It's only 1" narrower, but it's a whopping 14.25" SHORTER. And since I am new to stepping, I'm not really sure what the difference in actual performance is by not having the full length one. ? What does it mean when others say I'd be sacrificing the "fun factor"? and "I'd get a better workout with the full sized one"? I really do not need to make the routines harder at this point. They're hard enough. LOL

But, I am concerned of injury. So far, I am still doing Step Heat, and it's going great with the step I have. But, I now also have all the other Cathe step workouts (haven't opened them yet), plus a bunch of new purchases (Intensity, BB, GS, MM, and CTX Upper Body Split). I have noticed that I can't use the step as a "bench" for the weight work. And I had to move my weight bench into a side basement room to make space for my new aeorbic wood floor (so, it's out of tv view). I had to put 2 of my Studio Steps together, in order to use it as a bench while doing the CTX Upper Body Split, last night. It was a pain to keep moving stuff around, but it worked fine.

So, is there really a "safety" reason to get the longer step? (maybe in one of the routines of these other videos I haven't looked through yet?). Or should I just keep what I have? That longer step is just so expensive! But I don't want to risk injury if it really is a must have.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.