Setting Workout Priorities

Nina

I would like to start doing the PS Series regularly, but I have a limited amount of time to workout and I don't think I could do the series more than once a week. Is that enough to produce strength gains? I am primarily interested in losing weight (about 50 lbs) and I wonder if I should be spending more of my workout time in a target heart rate vs. strength training. Previously I was doing FIRM workouts, so I could get in my target heart rate zone while doing strength work, and I'm concerned about switching to separate cardio and weight workouts because I have a hard time fitting in more than 1 hour workouts 5 times a week (give or take).

Could you please give me some advice on how to structure my workout time? Thanks so much!

I think once a week will be okay

That's all I do the PS series for. I just lift as heavy as I can and to tell the truth I don't know if I could handle more than once a week! They are tough :-wow
Andrea

Not an answer, exactly, but...

Hi Nina! From what Cathe and others have said previously, yes, the PS series once a week can be enough to produce strength gains, provided you are lifting a weight that is as heavy as appropriate for you. Of course, everyone's body responds differently, though.

Regarding your cardio vs. strength question, I really don't have an answer to that, but I'd just like to point out that the added muscle you're building through your strength training will help you burn more calories at rest. :-jumpy

Lynne Lounsbury

Hi Nina! Yes, you will definitely gain strong lean muscle mass by doing the series one time per week. Also, the benefits of gaining this lean muscle mass is that you will burn calories during your workouts AND while at rest(since muscle is active tissue and the more of it you have the more calories you burn all day long).

Here is a rotation that I suggest to shock your metabolism(since it is a change from what it was used to doing)and start you on your way to your 50 pound weight loss goal. After 3 months of this program it would be a good idea to change around your work out. This will keep your muscles and metabolism challenged.

Monday...60 minutes of a cardio of your choice

Tuesday..PS Chest/Shoulders/Triceps(plus add on the ab work from Thursdays workout)

Wednesday..60 minutes of a cardio of your choice.

Thursday..NOTE THE SPECIAL CHANGES HERE........PS Back and Biceps THEN STOP YOUR VCR and immediately do 20 minutes of your favorite cardio. Then cool yourself down for 5 minutes and PUSH PLAY AND FINISH THE ABS AND STRETCH on the PS Back/Bicep tape.

Friday....PS Legs and Abs

Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.