S&H Series...three quick questions....

Timber99

Cathlete
I hope I am not "pushing it" with several questions, but I have been wondering....

1) You say to use it in "short rotation cycles" in your introduction. What is considered "short?" I don't want to overdo it!

2) Deadlifts...thie series is my first experience with this move. I had a hard time keeping the retraction during the move. Is this just an akward movement that I need to adjust to? Any pointers on keeping retracted on all movements?

3) Retraction in general...when you are on your back doing chest work, how do you retract? This sounds like a silly question, but I don't "get" it!

All help and info is MUCH appreciated!
Christine

Hi Timber99! No, not to many questions, I am happy to help!

A short rotation would be anywhere from one to three weeks long.

The retraction for the deadlift is to keep your chest lifted and your shoulders back. As you slide the bar down your legs, do not let the shoulders round forward. When you are new to this exercise, you may feel a bit of awkwardness in the low back as you lower down while keeping your shoulders back. As you get more comfortable and stronger, this will subside. If the tension on your back is VERY uncomfortable, put a little more of a bend in your knees.

The chest retraction is performed by squeezing your shoulder blade muscles together while on your back. Think of trying to keep the BACK of your shoulders from lifting off of the bench as your press the bar upward.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Cathe!

Thanks for the info! These questions have been nagging me for a couple of weeks. I will put this to use when I workout this week. :)

I just started doing the S&H series and had the same questions. Decided to do a search before I posted my questions. Thanks for the answers! What a great series!

I just started doing the S&H series also and had the same questions! I see a few questions posted that I was wondering also.
Faythe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.