running + body frame

lay

I'm a petite 22 yr old- 5ft, 100lbs, small boned but muscular legs. When I run during the week, I usually only do it 2 days in a row, then take a day off before I run again (I do step on weekends) because I feel like my legs get tight- I do yoga after each run though.
My friend, on the otherhand, runs daily and doesn't stretch. She's much more muscular than me, and bigger boned. She says she can run daily since she's built differently. Is this true?

Thanks for any input!

I'd be interesting in some info on this as well. I'm just starting running, and I'm unsure of how much to stretch before a run. Thanks!

RE: running body frame

I used to run 35 to 50 miles per week. I don't believe how often you can run has anything to do with how big you are or how large your bones are. If you run wisely, you can certainly do it daily. My biomechanics are such that running, indeed, daily activity, might not always be best for me. I plan rest days, particularly after high intensity or high impact activities. I have high arched feet and have a number of injuries, including a collasped arch. Fortunately, the running shoe industry has a shoe for every type runner and using the right shoe can circumvent many problems. When I used to run to days in a row, I alternated shoes to minimize wear and tear. I used to be very serious about running!

My sister has a more neutral gait and runs daily with no problem.
I have read of people who have run daily for years and years. No days off!

As for stretching, everyone should but people are flexible to varying degrees and it could be your friend has more natural flexibility and can get away without stretching. It may catch up with her. If you feel you should stretch before you run, it is important to warm up first by doing rhythmic movements. Otherwise, you risk injury. It is probably more important to stretch after you run when your mucles have shortened and tightened as a result of the rhythmic contraction during your exercise. They are warm after exercise and it's the perfect time to stretch and lengthen them.

It's really a matter of preference. Listen to your body. It will tell you if you can run daily or if you should alternate days. There is also the "point of diminishing returns". Once you go over a certain amount of running or any activity, it is no longer beneficial; no gains are made and the risk of injury increases. Exercise addicts experience this. What's optimal for you? I find 5-6 days of cardio is great but rest, particularly after an intense workout is also key!

Good luck!
BOBBI http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif

Your approach is safer for any body type. The rest days, x-training & yoga (or any flexibility training) will reduce your risk of injury & round out your training. Flexibility work also improves your range of motion which means you can run faster. Just because someone doesn't get injured doesn't mean they're not at greater risk for injury. On the other hand, people who are devoted to flexibility training may still get injured.

While any body type can enjoy running, elite runners have very small frames.

We've had some spirited discussions of running on the forums this summer which both of you may fine useful (locate by doing a search). The RunnersWorld website is a great resource. Several other useful websites were provided in the discussions. There are a couple of popular books written specifically for female runners that addresses bodytype that you may find interesting. I have the RunnersWorld "Complete Book of Women's Running". The other one written by "Kry....ski" (sorry) is even better. I'll try & find the name & author for you.

Debra

Runners are often the last people you want running advice from! I ran a marathon with a woman with a fractured tibia. Some runners will run come hell or high water. I had some moments of denial in my early training days but ultimately if you want to train long, you've got to train smart. It's better to err on the side of caution than to potentially ruin one's ability to run at all. For that reason, I recommend crosstraining. But running is wonderful. It's simple, straightforward and all you need is a good pair of running shoes for an awesome workout.

A lot of time, I think flexiblilty is seen as secondary to cardiovascular and muscular strength fitness, but I have found that I feel the best when I focus on flexibility as an equal partner to the other two aspects of fitness. It's less time consuming to thoroughly stretch each muscle group than it is to strength train each group and it's key when it comes to remaining fit as we age.

I also find both running and stretching great for the head!

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/flower.gif

Hi - I've been running for about 12 years, and I never thought about my size in relation to how long I can run. I'm 5'2" & 120 lbs, sometimes I can run 6-7 miles, sometimes only 3-4. It depends what other cardio I do that week (step, kickbox) how much sleep I get etc. Lots of factors involved. The important things for me are: stretching before & after running (I stretch every day regardless of my workout), getting enough sleep & water, good nutrition, and really good shoes! I run 4-5x/week and I love it whether I run 6 miles or 3 miles. Just do what you can and when it's not feeling good anymore, stop running! Stretch lots, and then run some more when you are ready. Have fun and good luck!

I have been an avid runner for 20 years, I even ran during all 3 pregnancies. I am now 38 and rarely run two days in a row. I have never had any serious injuries because of running. I presently run 3-4 times a week 5 to 6 miles at a time. Reflecting back, I wish I did more cross-training over the years. I am in much better shape now because I do cross-train. My body is stronger than ever. I do aerobic Cathe tapes on the days I do not run and usually take a day off here and there. I strength train 3 times a week, on average. I think you will be better off running 3-4 times a week rather than every day. As for stretching, I NEVER in my life have stretched before a run. I just start out slow to get warmed up. I always stretch when I am done, unless I am in a hurry. Every one is different, for many reasons including body type. I am a firm believer you can do what you set your mind to. Good luck and keep on running, I LOVE IT!

Just curious, how do you make those cute smiley faces? Many people who post on this site have the cutest little icons. Where are they coming from?

I stretch after too. I was actually scheduled to run this am but I rolled it over until tomorrow. It would have been my thrid consecutive day and I feel tired. I have been doing S&h on my running days and wanted to train on consecutive days. That workout is so intense it needs a day in between.

Visit http://www.plaudersmilies.com for the smiley icons!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.