Running

lwseymour

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I have started a running program again. I am only at 4.5 miles at this time (a very slow 4.5 miles).

I have read that you love to run and was just curious

Sorry, I hit the post message by accident before I was finished.
Anyway, I was curious if you have ever attempted a half or full marathon before. I am thinking about training for the HALF marathon in Atlanta on Thanksgiving Day. I would plan to run the first half and racewalk the second half. Just curious if you had any advice, tips, etc. for someone like myself. I am kinda in a slump and thought this might keep me motivated.

Thanks so much.
Lisa

How do people learn to run? It's one of those things that I've attempted when I'm in better shape, but no matter how many videos I do running is the most painful thing I've ever done in my life. When I last tried jogging, I was working out 5 days a week and bicycling over 100 miles a week, but I could barely run three miles at a 5 mph pace... i.e. you probably race walk faster than I could comfortably jog! I haven't tried running since. Can one learn to run? Can it ever be fun? It just feels like my brain bounces too much and my eyeballs hurt. Am I just defective?!

Bouncing brains and hurting eyeballs. That one really made me laugh.

In my opinion I think anyone can learn to run. Do you run flat footed, or do you land heel, ball, then toe? Good running shoes are a must too.

It's not the bouncing brain that keeps me from running, it's all the jiggling that goes on everywhere else!! Actually, I started running in college and worked my way up to 3 miles which was a major accomplishment for me because when I first started I couldnt even run around the block. However, on one over zealous day I did too much and suffered a knee injury which still plagues me today, but only when I attempt to run again. Thank god I can still do my Cathe tapes!!

Stacy

If you were meant to run, you'd know it! I did it once, loved it. Some people never find that affinity!

Hi Zoelda - I ran track in high school, and 12 years later I'm still loving it. The two things that are indespensible for successful running are good quality sports bras and running shoes. At least for me, these things make all the difference. I replace my running shoes every 4 months or so (wearing Asics these days). Anyway, you brought up an interesting point. My best friend is a cyclist and logs probably 100-150 miles a week, sometimes more. I don't think I could ever ride that much, and she always says she couldn't run more than 30 mins at a time. Different strokes I guess! Oh, and interval training has improved my running by leaps & bounds (pun intended :) Walk, run, sprint, run, walk... just do what you can. Start out power walking, run as much as you can, go back to walking... push yourself a little farther each time and you'll be surprised at how fast you can improve. Good luck!

Hi Everyone, I just started a running program myself. The one question I have : Is it correct to run flat-footed or on your toes, heel to toe? Any advice would be appreciated!

>Hi Everyone, I just started
>a running program myself. The
>one question I have :
>Is it correct to run
>flat-footed or on your toes,
>heel to toe? Any advice
>would be appreciated!

Hi Amy, I land on my heels (like lunges) and push off from my toes. Landing flat-footed is sometimes painful and can cause injuries, at least for me. Pushing off from my toes also gives me power in my legs & stride

Oh yeah, one more thing and then I'll shut up :) another thing that has improved my running is ab/core strength moves, especially those killer planks in PH! But since I've been doing cathe's tapes particularly her ab/back work, my core is so much stronger which I feel when I run. I remember reading an article in Runner's World about running from your core and it really stuck with me. They suggested that runners do yoga, pilates or other ab/core stabilization moves to improve running overall. It's really been working for me.

Train the right way

I'm one of those 100+ mile/week cyclists that huffed & puffed through every running attempt until I followed a structured run/walk beginners program. There was a great discussion on running earlier this summer (Open Forum?) which listed several great websites for beginning & progressing running programs. The Runnersworld.com website is a wonderful resource for beginners & experienced runners. There are a couple of great books for women runners or wanna' be runners.

Because of the impact, this is one activity that one really must ease into gradually. Remember it takes joints & connective tissue longer to adjust than muscles.

I do enjoy running because of the efficiency & portability. Lots of business travel? Visiting the in-laws? Toss some skimpy clothes & good shoes in your suitcase & you're good to go. I have to exercise my dogs 2xday, so turned some of that time into runs (I think they find my "runs" very entertaining). Running also seems to give my muscular legs (cyclist) more definition.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.