Are rotations the best system?

mariep

Cathlete
Hi, Cathe--

Is it essential to do rotations to get the best results? I tend to just pick workouts based on how I feel, how much time I have, etc. I am trying to get a bit more organized in terms of planning out how much cardio/weight work to do each week. My latest goal is to do 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weight work. For cardio during the nice weather I usually run (thank goodness for your cardio workouts to get me through the long, cold winter, though!;)) For the 3 weight workouts, I'd like to do PH, ME and then do PUB/PLB all on one day (I try to get long workouts in on the weekends). Is it wrong to be doing muscle endurance workouts (PH & ME) in the same week as PUB/PLB? Would I be better off with something like MIS or PS? I like PH & ME because they're only an hour long, so I can usually fit them in during the week, and I like that they cover all the body parts.

What do you think? I hope this makes sense....thanks for your help!:)

Marie

Hi Marie! If I were you I wouldn't sweat it. You said it yourself that your goal is to do 3 days of cardio & 3 days of weight training. Then do just that. Mix up your cardio & also mix up your weight training. Have fun! Kathy:7

I agree with Kathy to mix it up and have fun. What doing rotations did for me though, was to do the workouts that were the hardest for me. Left to my own devices, I tended to reach for the easier videos I liked to do rather than say, MIC, Imax, Boot Camp,Bodymax, Power Hour, Leaner Legs...:D
The rotations showed me that I, personally, had been goofing off. LOL

Since you already have a 'rotation' in the works (3 days cardio and 3 days weights) all you need to do is match your videos and running schedule to your goal.

Hi Marie!! At this point I would say just do anything that you are going to do!! I tend (and I'm working on this.......) to fail when it comes to rotations. I would love to someday actually follow through with one, and it is a goal of mine!! lol.

Kim

I'm an advocate for no rotations. I guess I am a mood exerciser! Meaning, I pull whatever video or DVD off the shelf that I feel like doing at the moment. However, like you, I require it to be a mix of cardio and strength training throughout the week. I am happy with where I am, so I guess that helps. Doing what feels good to you and makes you happy is more likely to keep you progressing. Mix whatever endurance and strength workouts you like within a week - nothing wrong with that.

Thanks, everyone. I do feel like as long as I have a good mix of weights and cardio, I'm probably doing ok. You just hear so much talk of rotations, you wonder if you're missing out on better results! I should stop thinking about it and just enjoy the fact that I'm actually exercising and therefore ahead of the game! And you know when you're working out with Cathe, you really can't go wrong! :)

Thanks again,
Marie

Yes Marie, I agree that you can't go wrong with Cathe. I think a couple reasons why some do rotations is because it keeps them accountable and also because they see if a certain rotation WORKS for them. In other words, if you do a rotation for 6-8 weeks and see no results, you might want to switch it up & try something else or you may see that what you did worked wonders. But, the main thing is that you do something. I think the fact that you have a good mix of cardio & strength, you will do just fine. Have fun!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.