Rest/Recovery--Need Tough Love, Please

Swimmer

Cathlete
Cathe--You have been my coach, trainer, and inspiration since the last 1990s. I'm a 51 year old "geezer jock" who is strong/muscular/fit, thanks in a large part to your effective, enjoyable workouts.

I enjoy working out so much that it's difficult for me to take a recovery day, which I know I need, particularly due to my age. Consequently, I'm asking if you could PLEASE tell me to do it and remind me of the benefits.

It's pathetic, I know, but it would help me immensely to know that you take a rest day every week (I'm certain you do).

Ahhh swimmer I'm right with you. I only take a rest day when I simply don't have the time to work out which is once every two weeks. Otherwise I work out everyday in some capacity. I'm hoping a light yoga, walk in the park or Pilates or abs only can be considered active rest. I'd like to know if this is ok too.

I am with you too, I am 51 and I do have a hard time taking rest days. I'm trying to do better in that area but it is hard.

Me too! I have a terrible time! I think its "workout deficit anxiety".....not sure if that's a real thing, but I have an absolute NEED to do something. I've been trying to do more yoga so at least I move, stretch and hopefully break a sweat. Everytime I say "I'm just going to WALK on the treadmill"....... yup, I end up running, hopping, skipping. Ridiculous. So I eventually get off the treadmill.........then start with the weights :eek:

I recently had the dreaded flu, so I was forced to be still. Miserable illness! :mad:

Thanks, to all, for empathizing. I took today off, first time I haven't done some form of cardio since the last time I was really sick. I ended up doing Eoin Finn's Happy Hips/Easy Street, which is wonderful for us old "stiffies."

I am seeing my recovery day is my muscle building/restorative day. Part of my fitness program. I keep reminding myself that I will be stronger and fitter for giving my body the rest it needs, particularly since I'm a geezer. Might end up doing a less-intense week once a week, as well (low and lower impact workouts only).

I really love intense cardio and heavy weights, pushing myself hard. I was working out 7 days a week with breaks only on occasion. I was getting headaches and just feeling tired. So a few months ago I decided to take 2 rest/easy days per week. I admit it was really hard at first but my body and mind seems happier with this change. On those days I do either Classical Stretch, Yoga, or a walking workout by Jessica Smith or Leslie Sansone, or a complete day off. A much better balance for me :)

Hey Zenara25, did you notice any changes in your body? What were they?

I admit, I have some sort of mental block that won't allow me to NOT do something. I feel fidgity. That's why I end up on the treadmill. In my defense....I have been getting better. I thinks it's simply a matter of "I feel awesome" when I work out. Know what I mean?

Hey Zenara25, did you notice any changes in your body? What were they? I admit, I have some sort of mental block that won't allow me to NOT do something. I feel fidgity. That's why I end up on the treadmill. In my defense....I have been getting better. I thinks it's simply a matter of "I feel awesome" when I work out. Know what I mean?

Yes I had a hard time taking those easy/rest days at first. Loved the feeling of working out everyday. For example we were traveling for a vacation last year, which took all day to get to our destination 5a-1am. No time to workout before or after realistically. But I had to do something, so in the airport bathroom I did a short 5min HiiT routine (high knees, jumping jacks, tuck jumps etc). So I think I know what you mean :)

Well I just did my last STS workout Squat Rack Disc 40 in my 3 month rotation today!! Loved STS just as much the 2nd time around. So lots of strength increases overall, and on the cardio days I seem stronger and not wiped out anymore. TMI but my DH said the other day without me asking he notices both my butt and abs has some nice definition :)

Hi, I'm the same, love to do exercises everyday only because my body is no young to do like 2 or 3 hour a day, I did when I was 22 but now I'm 40 and I do have lower back problem(lumbar) and my doctor said don"t do it to much only some low impact, really not I'm lisent to my body and I continium to do it 6 days a week one day off only because my husband is home. Maybe we are wrong but we love exercises.:rolleyes:

I went thru this a few years back and it was someone on this forum who was a personal trainer who told me you need a rest WEEK. I took the advice. Took a week off doing nothing. I could not believe how much better I felt a week later. I could go longer having better endurance and lift heavier. I lost nothing and gained everything. Part of training is giving your body time to recover not just the lifting, cardio.

I know you all know this, but just keep telling yourself; when you're resting your muscles are growing. If you workout every day they just get torn down. No time to grow. Like Cathe says in one of her workouts, "you're an educated crowd."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.