Questions on Weight Training

petramom

Cathlete
I've been working on mastering the GS workouts, and have some questions.

1. For the calf workout in GS Legs, if I can complete the reps, should I add weight? If so, how much?

2. For the barbell pullovers in GS, where should I feel the work? I feel some tension in my triceps and delts, but am not able to isolate the lats in this movement. What am I doing wrong?

3. In GS, the back extensions and the other back work that comes right after this (lifting the chest and rotating) also doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. What form pointers can you give me? Where specifically should I be feeling these moves?

4. Is there some benefit to doing moves with a band vs. weights? Or is it just for variety?

Finally, about DOMS: why is it sometimes you have them and sometimes you don't?

Thanks!

some answers for you

I've been working on mastering the GS workouts, and have some questions.

1. For the calf workout in GS Legs, if I can complete the reps, should I add weight? If so, how much?

2. For the barbell pullovers in GS, where should I feel the work? I feel some tension in my triceps and delts, but am not able to isolate the lats in this movement. What am I doing wrong?

3. In GS, the back extensions and the other back work that comes right after this (lifting the chest and rotating) also doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. What form pointers can you give me? Where specifically should I be feeling these moves?

4. Is there some benefit to doing moves with a band vs. weights? Or is it just for variety?

Finally, about DOMS: why is it sometimes you have them and sometimes you don't?

Thanks!

Hi Petramom! I hope you are enjoying your Friday so far. Here are some answers for you...

1) Yes, add weight. Start with an extra 5 pounds in your hand and adjust accordingly. Your goal is to be challenged in the same way you once were before you needed to add weight.

2) Pullovers work chest, back, triceps, and core really well. Therefore I will put them in workouts that feature at least one of these muscle groups (while knowing that there is no way to avoid using the other muscle groups too). I like to vary equipement and hand grips to try to call upon a certain muscle group a little more. I find that when I do the barbell version I can feel it in my lats because I have each arm/hand lined up over the lat muscle and I really focus on driving the elbows down toward my hips to fire up the lats. I try to tell people to focus on the elbow and back side of the arm (tricep side of arm) coming over the body and pressing onto a big stability ball so you create resistance right where those lats are firing. Many people are focused on their hands and the swinging action of the arm. Try the visual I just gave you instead.

3) Back extensions have a very limited range of motion so there is not a lot of movement required to fire off a contraction. Also, many people are less flexible in their backs and/or have pre-existing back conditions which can make this move uncomfortable, especially when doing a rotation along with the basic exercise. I'm not saying this is what you have or are experiencing, I'm just making you aware of situations that can create difficulties. Start mastering the exercise by doing it alone, without music and just lift up and hold rather than lower and lift consecutively. Then after a week of this gently add in a slow and steady lifting cadence. Instead of thinking about arching your back in the middle when you lift, think about lifting your torso up as one unit and wrapping your back muscles around your spinal column as you do it. See if that helps. Once you have mastered this you can try rotation along with the lift but this variation is not necessary. You will still get great conditioning in your back without this variation.

4) Yes for both. In some cases it is just for variety but in others the band offers resistance in a way that weights can't. For example, with biceps curls, you have tension on EVERY portion off the movement. When you lift a weight, you have tension in the three quarter range of the movement but no tension near the top and near the bottom of the movement. So the band affords a greater "full range of movement" challenge.

5) You will feel DOMS most often when an exercise program is brand new to the body. The challenged muscle fibers get little microtears and swell as they repair, hence the DOMS. As your body acclimates to a workout/exercise, there is less of this occuring since your body is adapting to the exercise. Now if you are giving your all to a workout, and are "really feeling it" as you do it, but not feeling DOMS within a couple of days, it doesn't mean the exercise program isn't working or the body isn't responding. It just means it is getting familiar with the program and adapting well. But when you are "NOT really feeling challenged" during a workout session that once had you pushing so hard, its time to change it up....your muscles have fully adapted and need a new shock response.

Take Care :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.