Q for Cathe on injury setback

BlakKat

Cathlete
I broke my pinkie toe 2 wks ago playing with our dog. Doc says 4-6 wks before I can work out again. I have always worked out 5-6 days a week with Cathe so this is very depressing. If STS ships as scheduled, will I be able to jump right into STS beginning of Jan or should I go back to my previous Cathe workouts first? I am trying to keep up with my upper body & ab workouts, but am afraid the 1 rep max's I did already will not be accurate due to strength losses over this time - should I re-do them? Thank you.

Hi Blakkat! I'm sorry to hear of your broken toe. I know, major bummer for an avid exerciser. But fortunately in most cases the pinky toe just gets taped to the others and usually heals well and on schedule.

I don't want to speak over your doctors orders, so what he/she says goes!!!! But ask them if they are referring to all forms of exercise for that period of time. I think they will be ok with you doing weight supported exercises (ie: seated overhead press, bench press, lying triceps extensions, bicep curls, one arm rows, etc. Perhaps they may even allow biking for cardio. I can see not doing any running or jumping activities or even lunges or exercises that require balancing on your feet, but I think they will allow weight supported exercises....again please check.

As far as 1RM testing. You will not be that different from your original testing to warrant a retest. If your original weight is too heavy, shave off a pound on lighter weightexercises (ie: shoulder front press or rear flys), and 5 pounds off heavier weights (ie: squats or deadlifts). Continue to make adjustments accordingly if needed.

Thanks Cathe!

Wow - I feel so honored. I have done only a few posts; I usually just read them. And to have Cathe herself answer back - you made my day and really lifted my spirits! Thanks so much for your answer. Just went back to Dr. today and he said I can do bike or elliptical and some excercises as long as I don't jump or bend the toes - just like you said! Although I still have to wear this boot for another 3 weeks I am half-way there. I can't wait to work out with you again hard-core!!! Thanks again and thanks for continuously bringing us nothing but the best! Happy Holidays to you and your family and of course the whole STS gang!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.