Pull-ups

Cyndie

Cathlete
Hi there Cathe! It seems a little strange writing to you directly. I have been on the forum so much but try not to post to you because you are so busy. Anyway I am curently working in an all women's gym where there is no assisted pull-up machine. What do you think about doing sort of a reverse push up with a dowel across two high stools? It's sort of like a lying pull-up. I saw this at a fitness conference and wanted your opinion. Also what is the next best thing to pull-ups as far as machines go if that is not available. Thanks for your imput. I am interested to know what you think because I agree with you. Pull-ups are one great exercise and it's a shame I can't recommend it to some of my clients. Thanks for your time.

All my best to you and your little fetus, Cyndie

Hi Cyndie! I'm not sure if I am picturing your reverse pull up correctly but you can try the dowel and stool method as long as it is a safe and secure set up (ie: no bar rolling away in the middle of the exercise). The accent on the working muscles will be slightly different because instead of being vertical you will be in a more horizontal position. Not exactly the same as a pull up but the back muscles will be engaged nonetheless. As far as a machine replacement, I would have to say a lat pull down with the hands in the same grip and distance as an actual pull up and also pull the bar down in the same manner as a pull up. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.