Is this possible?

Cbelle

Cathlete
Cathe (and the educated crowd), do you think it is possible to get a fitness competitors type body by working out at home? And if so, using your tapes? Even you, Cathe, lift weights at a gym not at home, right? I have never once read of a fitness competitor/model who worked out at home, either cardio or weights.

Not Cathe but

Good question Oxygen feature stories from readers who worked out both at home and gyms I guess with videos most people mainly want to get into shape, loss weight etc. Many fitness competitiors need to do more rigours training and lift heavier weight often require a spotter and a coach to reach there goals.

But check the picture thread in open discussion and have a look on the body for life website they have a lot of before and after pics and stories.

Personally I feel even if it could be done most mags would feature those who use gyms. But I would imagine readers who work out at home on there own gymstyle equipment & or vids.

Babs

I'm at 17.5% body fat which I knows is good but I want to be better. I'm looking for a Cathe type body. I have weights up to 20 lbs (dumbbells) and a 40 lb barbell. It just seems to me though that I've taken home workouts as far as I can and now I'll have to move into a gym to complete the job.

Look at Francine! I was very close to having a competetor's body in '98 before the anorexia took over. I do believe it's possible with hard work, consistency, and a clean diet. Just my opinion though.

Cbelle

Don't get me wrong what I should have added is that I think it is possible but most mags would probably be reluctant to suggest workouts vids are still seen as how many get into fitness before going to gyms.

I would try a personal trainer who might give you some tips in addition to Cathe one who appreciate the value of video workouts. The challenge is to keep challenging your body to get the development and results you want.

Babs

I'm hoping to maybe do a little of both. Cardio at home (those machines at the gym bore me to tears) and a full body strength tape (Firm or Cathe) and then 3 days of weights at the gym. I don't know. I'm in contact with a personal trainer who's book I read and I'm waiting to hear his suggestions. His wife is a fitness model/competitor. This is one of the worst things about this industry in my opinion. So many different ways to reach the same goal and finding the one path that works for you. I'm too impatient to wait I guess.

Hi Chelle!

Not Cathe, but I just wanted to caution you to be careful! 17.5% Bodyfat for a women is VERY good. When you say you want to get lower, please be careful. Too low can cause major problems for females. Please check with your doctor before trying to lose too much bodyfat. Remember, we do need some fat in order to keep healthy!

I have no response on working out at the gym. I've been very happy working out with Cathe at home! But, I'm not looking to be a fitness competitor!

Good Luck!

I'm pretty sure Amie from this forum did most if not all her training with Cathe vids and won a bodybuilders contest.

Also, it's gotta be OK to go below 17% bodyfat, granted wtih guidance from a professional and being careful about signs of eating disorders. After all I know Cathe's bodyfat is waaay below that and she's healthy.

Edith
;-)

I've had my bodyfat tested by 3 different people at 3 different places, and they all came up with pretty much the same thing. Frankly, I'm shocked that I am that low cuz I sure don't think I look it! If I'm 17.5% Cathe surely must be like 12 or 10%!

I was gonna guess Cathe's to be more like 8-9% at the time the newest videos were filmed. She probably runs around 10-12 % outside her filming seasons so to speak. She's very very lean, and of course we'd all love to be too I'm sure. ;-)

Edith
who would love to be 17% bodyfat

Cbelle

I would suggest lifting free weights at the gym and using say 2 or 3 machines you will require a spotter to lift heavier mainly because lifting heavy you need some to help you with heavier weights you know getting them off the floor and in position to do reps and returning them.

There are some many ways due to the fact that everyone is different and to get results you may have to continual tweak your workout and eating.

Also please, please pay attention to what Jillybean has said many fitness models and contestants do develop unhealthy eating and obession with their bodies its part of the business. This can lead to eating disorders and unreal images of your body so do be careful. Could I also suggest doing some sort of stretching workout 1 time per week?

Babs

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was curious what Cathe would have to say but I don't know if she's going to reply. I"m going to try to mix it up a bit with a little at home a littel in the gym. We'll see what happens!

Thanks for asking this question Cbelle. I have often wondered this same thing while flipping through my fitness magazines at home.

I think Aimee that hangs out here on the forum entered a competition and took 2nd place if I remember correctly. I know she placed anyway. Doesn't she only work out at home with Cathe and running?

Maybe Aimee will read this and post her thoughts and recommendations for you.

I'm not hallucinating, am I? Does anybody else remember Aimee's competition and fitness regime? I think she only comes on line occasionally these days (or maybe she checks the forum daily but rarely "talks").
Thanks,
Lisa

I'd love to hear from Aimee on her rotation for the contest and I don't know why I thought she won. Maybe she placed 1st in one catagory?

Edith

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-03 AT 07:20PM (Est)[/font][p]I don't like to speculate about things regarding cathe, buuut I really do NOT think her bodyfat is as low as you are estimating. She is lean and looks absolutely fantastic, but she has a fabulous body type too. Her weight is very evenly distributed. Also, our bodies need a certain amount of fat to keep us, yes, healthy. I've even read that keeping a certain amount of body fat (i don't know the numbers) can help fight off certain types of disease, including some types of cancer. Good luck and enjoy your workouts.

Kristie Schultz

Aimee (she used to use the username as "competitionbound" most certainly did place 2nd in the contest. She had posted her picture at the time for all of us to see and WOWSA she's one gorgeous lady!! Her workout schedule as I remember it was very time consuming and grueling. I still have her rotations in my binder (as if I were EVER going to do one of her workouts) yeah right! She did, however, workout 2x a day. In the morning and then again in the afternoon and yes she did use nothing but Cathe's tapes. We also had another lady online but unfortunately no longer see her here. She also used to compete and had emailed Aimee regarding what she would need to know in order to enter the contest, what bathing suit to wear, tanning solution, etc. She must've also gotten into nutrition. Hope Aimee reads this and chimes in because I sure would like to know too. Good luck! Kathy:)

Could you post that rotation you said you have in your binder? I'm really curious. I'm half way convinced to order the new series. I've been going to the gym the last 2 wks and it just isnt making me happy. I miss my home workouts!

Hi Cbelle! Sure I'll post it here tomorrow as I'm at work and not in possession of my binder. Also as I recall there's yoga in the rotation every day. Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.