pm workouts

C

cid

Hello, Cathe! First, congrats on the new baby to come (my sister always said I was "brewing" with my pregnancies!), and deep thanks for such great workouts. With the exception of yoga, your tapes are the only ones I choose anymore.

My question for you is does workout time make a difference in metabolic rate, fat loss, or increasing fitness? I am just flat-out NOT a morning person, so I exercise late afternoon or after the kids go to bed. I've done this for the past 6 years, 4-5X a week with few exceptions. If it would be beneficial to change workout times FOR A ROTATION, I'd be game. Also, when I workout in the pm, sometimes I'm not hungry enough to eat something before going to bed. Is it ok to just have water and tea and call it a day since I have a days worth of eating in me? Or am I depriving my bod of need refeuling? Thanks in advance!

CinDee

Your lucky not to be hungry after a PM workout- I always am (in fact I just had an ice cream cone and beef stew after mine).
I'm like you - not at all an AM workout. Anything before 4pm seems early. I've tried to do it, but am sluggish and not into it.

A trainer I had said to just do it when you're actually going to feel like exercising. There are theories that AM workouts burn fat all day, but you'll burn fat regardless. The only advantage I see is that you get it done with early on so then you won't have excuses like you're too tired or busy later on.

So my opinion is to exercise when you feel like it because that will keep you fit in the long run. Good luck!

Glad to know there's another pm exerciser out there. And when I say pm, sometimes I don't start until 10, but I get it done!

CinDee

Hi Cin Dee! There are theories out there saying that the time of day that you work out effects your results but they are just that, theories! If it were true there would be unbiased factual evidence supporting the claims.

Long ago I decided to put the theory to the test and noticed absolutely no difference in my fitness results. I'm sure we all agree that simply finding the time to exercise is hard enough as it is, let alone adding limitations to the situation.

So keep on enjoying your pm workouts. Also, if you have not noticed that you feel depleted or hungry in the middle of the night or dragging the next day due to not refueling after a workout then you should be fine. But please keep the water coming. But if you do feel a little hungry, eat a piece of fruit or drink a small glass of juice after your workout to replace some of your carbs. Good Luck :)!

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question. It's good to know you've tested the theories yourself so that I don't have to! Your call on this is good enough for me! CinDee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.