Plank work very frustrating!!

**balancedmom**

Hi Cathe!
I am getting very frustrated with plank work. Don't get me
wrong, I love what it has done with my lower back etc. My
problem is when I do them it is not my back or abs that hurt,
it's my shoulders and upper arms that are just killing me.
They hurt so much I can't finish the plank work. The funny thing
is I can do all the plank work where your body is facing upward
and your rear facing the floor. By the time I finish the upperbody weight work (like in the CTX series) my arms are too fried to get through the plank work. Should I do my plank work
before I so my weight work? I **REALLY** want to master this plank work, I am determined, but don't want injury. My shoulders tend
to injure easily, a weak spot. Any suggestions would greatly be
appreciated.
Thanks, and I hope your pregnancy is going very smoothly!!
Lori Darling

I am so glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this!
My shoulders absolutely *scream* with pain when I attempt any of the plank work, unless I drastically modify it.
It's seems quite odd because for the first time in my life I can do full body push-ups, but not planks!
What am I doing wrong?!?
Thanks for bringing it up, Lori!

Becky

I found that to be the case too when I started doing the plank work after my pregnancy 10 months ago. But now that I have built up my chest muscles, I can do them without much "burn" in my shoulder area. I think the key is to keep it up and it will come. The first time I did them, I thought there was no way I could ever hold them as long as Cathe and crew but eventually, I built up the strength. Another thing you might try is curling in your toes a bit when you are in the plank position. For some reason that seemed to help me hold the position, I hope that doesn't mess up the form, doesn't seem to. Keep plugging away.

angie

Thanks Angie and Becky!!
The sad thing is I have been
doing these for over a year or more.:-hmmm
Actually, I have done plank work in other
tapes as well for a few years now.
Maybe the key is a stronger chest just
like you said Angie. Thanks for the
input, and I will definatly work that
chest area.
Lori Darling :D

RE: suggestion

Just a suggestion, and this comes from yoga...
In addition to what others have suggested, you might also be balancing all your weight in your upper body. Try to concentrate and evenly distributing your weight over your whole body, and use your abs and lower back as the focus point instead of your arms. Really settle into your feet, push your weight back a little, and feel your whole palm spread on the floor evenly taking your weight. Just a thought, sounds silly, but it works for me. :)

Hi Lori! If you feel that it is the upper body work prior to your plank work that is burning your shoulders out, then yes, do your planks before your upper body work. That is fine! Good Luck!

Somewhere I read or heard a suggestion like this I tried it and it really helped me tremendously. I can hold the planks as long as Cathe but I haven't tried the advanced moves yet.

Joyce

Kristina,
What a great idea!! Maybe I am putting too much pressure
on my shoulders instead of distributing my weight evenly
throughout my whole body. I will sure try that, Thanks!!
Lori Darling

PS~ it doesn't sound silly at all, makes perfect sense.

Cathe,
Thanks for your reply.
Do you think that this could also be a sign of
a weak chest? I think this may be part of the
problem. I can do full body push-ups too, but I do
struggle doing them. You seem to make them look
so easy. If I work on strengthening my chest
will planks and full body push-ups become much easier?
Thanks so much for your time and help!!
Lori Darling

PS~ congrats on having another boy!! (Must have missed the
post you mentioned this on.)

Another shout out for yoga! I too had problems with plank work, but began to notice as I improved with my yoga (which I only do once a week on Sundays), plank work got easier and easier, until one day I was just doing it with ease, and I know it's due totally to yoga! Just a suggestion.....
Donna

Hey Donna,
I have some Pilates tapes that I love, but no
yoga. Could you suggest some good ones? I
am interested in a tape that is not as
**spiritual** as others. I know there are
some really good ones out there, just want
to make a smart purchase.
Thanks, Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.