Overhead press variation: it works but is it safe?

kathryn

Cathlete
I have trouble with overhead presses because of a past shoulder tendinitis problem and "easily impinged" shoulders. I've joined in on the presses in Power Hour because they were light, but they still kind of bugged my shoulder, until I switched hand positions. I have NO impingement feeling when my palms face me, but I'm wondering if it's as effective (seems to me it would be as effective for the shoulders, but just checking). I think it helps me because the impingement might relate to how the bicep/shoulder muscles move together, and by changing the grip, I change that relationship.

How do your elbows & wrists feel?

Hmmm, that's an idea. I would think that would involve anterior delts a bit more, does it feel like it when you perform the raises?

Seems like you'll need to pay especially good attention to how your elbows & wrists feel but as long as they're happy, it's great that you've found an appropriate modification. Do be careful though, it really sounds like it could cause some stress in your elbows & wrists and you definitely don't want to compromise anything! Better to do some other shoulder work (side lateral raises for instance) than to come away from the workout with your joints complaining.

I'm not actually sure what you mean by 'easily impinged shoulders' so this may not be appropriate for you, but sometimes I like to bring my arms right in front of me (parallel with each other) with my palms facing each other and lift from there. Just sort of works everything a bit differently since variety is so good for the muscles!

RE: How do your elbows & wrists feel?

Thanks Brinley (my post was getting so lonely ;-( ). I don't know yet about elbows and wrists, as I haven't done the move again until I check and see that it's o.k. I did notice any problem when I did it (or the following days). By "easily impinged" (my whacky wording!) I mean that one of my tendons tends to get impinged (pinched) in the joint. Something to do with how the ocromicon (or something close to that!) moves when the shoulder joint is in action. (This probably doesn't make it much clearer, does it ;-)

RE: any other opinions?

Kathryn, I am sorry that I can't reply to your question. I simply don't know if this is safe. There is a discussion group at www.davedraper.com. I belong to it, but haven't posted in a while. They are a great group and have many very knowledgeable and experienced people. I am sure that if you post your question there you will get a lot of feedback. They like new people with questions. Tell them I sent you! Jeanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.