which one first: cardio or weights?

dimples237

Cathlete
Cathe,
Does it matter if you do cardio first and then weights, or is it better to do weights first and then cardio? On days that I don't circuit train, I usually do my cardio first because it gets me warmed up and I like to finish with a weight session - but I've heard that you're supposed to do cardio AFTER weights so that you don't fatigue your muscles. What would you advise? Does it really matter which one comes first?? Thanks!

Sarah :)

Until Cathe replies, I thought I'd let you know what I've heard. A few years ago, a trainer told me to do weights first to start the fat burning. It's more complex than that- I forget the details- but I've heard it before.

This is an article I copied from fitstep.com:
**The best way to incorporate cardio into your training is to do it in a completely different session then your weight training. If you plan on doing both weights and cardio in the same session, do the weights first. There are two major reasons for this:

* First, doing cardio before weights will pre-fatigue your muscles, limiting your weight training. Doing cardio after weights will not.
* Second, weight training will serve as a sort of pre-exhaust for cardio; lowering your blood sugar and allowing you to burn fat immediately after you start cardio. If you do cardio first, it will take about 20 minutes before you really start to burn fat

Take into consideration what you want to focus on. If you're training for a race or trying to burn more calories, do cardio first so you can put your energy into that. But if you're ok on cardio and want to work on toning/strength, do weights first.
example: I think we've all done a tough cardio workout and just been too tired afterwards so we skip the weights or ab workout. So I usually do weights first or on separate days. Cathe's CTX series is great because the weight section is right after the cardio so you do it.

But I don't think it will make a huge difference if you do one or the other first.

PLEASE, can someone answer this question!!??!! I am soooo confused. I have heard several different answers to this question. I usually start off my workout with cardio, and then go into weights. Is this wrong??? I really want to know the best way to slim down and look tone and cut. Please, please let us know the proper order, or does it really even matter?? Looking forward to some help on this.

THANKS, AIMEE

It doesn't matter. What's important is that it feels comfortable for you. There is no right and wrong.

Some feel that doing strength training first taxes their muscles and therefore makes getting through a cardio workout difficult. The muscles fatigue quickly and form suffers during the cardio session, especially if legs are worked heavily.

The flip side is that after an intense cardio workout, it might be difficult to put a lot of physical and mental effort into the strength session due to being exhausted by the cardio.

The argument of doing strength training first so you start burning fat right away upon doing cardio is not a "one size fits all" scenario. Recent studies have found that how fast one begins burning fat has a lot to do with one's fitness level, and this is determined via testing in a lab environment. Fat loss is an easy equation - calories in verus calories out. To look slim and toned and lose bodyfat, you must create a calorie deficit by engaging in both strength training and cardiovascular activities coupled with a healthy diet.

Hope this helps clarify!

-Roe

Again, there is no right or wrong here but I would have to say that it is better for your body to do cardio first. That way all your muscles are nice and warm. This definitly helps me, but I know it can hurt you strength wise. So, if building big muscles is more important to you I would say seperate your lifting days from cardio days. This is what I do most of the time and it works the best....

Janice

Um, didn't someone- l23- already answer the question pretty well??

Weights before or after cardio won't make a big difference either way. Just do what you feel most comfortable doing.

My friend told me that her personal trainer suggested doing weights first and then cardio so that she would not be sore the next day. I haven't tried this myself since I do cardio and weights on opposite days. I don't know if there is any actual proof of this, but it has been working for her, she said she is not nearly as sore the next day, even after upping her weights.

If I combine them in the same workout, my ideal is to start with a bit of cardio (for example, the longer warm-up of Cardio Kicks, which is about 10 mn long and contains warm-up/stretch and some cardio as well), then do weights, then finish with about 30+ minutes of cardio. I think that gives me the best of both worlds (warm-up for weights, but doing weights soon enough so that I'm not tired out from the cardio, and using the movements of the cardio to help avoid muscle soreness from weight work).

My second choice would be weights first, then cardio, because I want to emphasize weight work (though I still need a good warm-up). On days when I do two workouts (on occasion, but not often), I usually do weights in the earlier workout, and cardio later in the day.

If I were wanting to emphasize cardio, I'd start with that.

As with many areas where there seem to be conflicting viewpoints, and excellent points on both sides, I believe in personal experimentation. Try a two-week rotation with cardio first. Then a two week rotation with weights first. Then, just for the heck of it, and to make a full month, a rotation alternating the two methods. That will help you decide which method works best for YOU (and even if they both seem to give the same results...it gives you a nice rotation for a month!).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.