Non weight bearing muscle sculpting workouts

Hi Cathe,

I know that in order to build muscle, you need to lift weights. My question was, is there any type of non-weight bearing exercises you can do that will accomplish pretty much the same thing? i.e. you can work your triceps doing tricep dips, chest doing pushups, back doing supermans, total lower body doing lunges, squats, outer, inner thigh lifts. But what about biceps and shoulders? What type of exercise can someone do for these muscle parts if they didn't want to lift any weight, but still sculpt and tone?

Thanks,
Candy

Hi, I am not Cathe but

I've believe that cardio kickboxing is good for overall muscle tone, especially if done regularly as it can burn fat and give overall body toning to your arms, shoulders,back, abs, and legs etc.
I suppose if you did it with some of the above that you mentioned with your own bodyweight you would aquire a certain amount of toning and definition, but not like you would get with weights, I am no expert, but it has done this for me in the past before I discovered weights. I would like to know what cathe and anyone else thinks.

hotchick:)

Hi Candy! I would definitely recommend punching drills that are found in many kickboxing tapes. The force that generated with these punches will shape and tone the arms and core region very nicely. But ease into this punching style so that you don't injure yourself. It is very tough stuff. Good Luck!

Thanks Cathe, and Hotchick,

I teach 6 step and sculpt classes in a week and I always improvise thanks to you Cathe. My concern was, when it's time to stop the aerobic portion and pick up weights (intervals), like in many classes you have the ones that NEED to modify, and the only problem is I prefer there be a modification that I know of for biceps and shoulders so they can continue the workout gaining some of the same benefits just as well as the others if they prefer not to pick up a weight. Cathe what can I suggest when it's time to work these body parts? Sorry I should have made myself more clear in the beginning.:(
Please reply if you have any more info

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.