New User Of Barbell

H

Hippychick

I ordered all the new videos and it seems most of them require the use of a barbell. Ive never used a barbell before. What kind should I buy and how heavy should it be. Im kinda intimidated with using a barbell. I dont want to look bulky with big muscles. I prefer to look toned and lean.
Can I use a Softstick instead? www.shopforfitness.com

I appreciate your help!

Hi Hippychick

Just wanted to let you know that I purchased a barbell recently at Target (it was a Powerflex by Bally Fitness for 49.99). It only goes to 38 lbs., but that should work for me for a long time (and I can purchase more weights for it later if needed thru their 800 number). It is very simple to use.

I was very hesitant about buying a barbell. I had always used dumbbells and didn't want to spend $ for a barbell. I must say, however, that I am enjoying the workout (PS series) with the barbell. It will produce the same look as using dumbbells. I am getting toned and feeling stronger. I think it is HOW much weight you use, not what KIND of weight you use that will make you bulky (masculine) looking. I especially like working legs with the barbell (as someone on this forum told me I would). I have not regretted my barbell purchase at all. Hope this helps.
Lisa

Thanks for the info!

I'll check it out :) I was thinking of purchasing a SoftStick for starters coz I'm just new to barbells. It only goes up to 24 lbs. I don't know if I can ever lift 40 to 50 lbs of weight as most people here do. Don't laugh, but I can hardly lift 10 lb weights for a 30 min arm workout!

Had to tell you,

that I just got back from K-Mart(the one where I live is going out of business) and I got a barbell for $25.00
happy.gif
! It go up to 70lbs and I think that that will be MORE THAN PLENTY for me! I just did 10-10-10 with it and I really liked the difference in the feel of the resistance. I have a Bodybar too, but I like the fact that I'll be able to change weight as I progress.

That's a great bargain! Good for you!

I'll have get a body bar for starters. Or I'm thinking abt the SoftStick coz it can go up to 24 lbs. A SoftStick is like a body bar in that the whole 12 lb bar is covered with foam. But you can add 1.5 lb weights till it reaches 24 lbs. When I become stronger like you, I'll buy a barbell!

Well I doubt I'm any stronger

than you are. 70lbs is wishful thinking for me. Right now, I've got it at 25lbs, let's see how I do today with it. I've never heard od a soft stick before, or even seen one. They sound neat!! If I had known about them I would've gotten one of them instead of a bodybar. Oh well. Let me know how it works out for you with it. I'm dying to see one of them now!

BUT WAIT!!!!

2's better than 1!!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

Two barbells that is... Ok, ok, so some of us are more obsessed then others.....

Yes, I have 2 barbells! No, that's a lie... I have 3 of them... with my sights on a 4th one as a non-food reward down the road some!!!
happy.gif

DO NOT worry about bulking up. It ain't gonna happen... and if you start to get too big, just lighten the weight.

The reason for two barbells? It makes a workout easier, cuz sometimes I go heavier for some lower body exercises and then lighter for upper body! So, I have barbell #2, pre-loaded and waiting!! (Or is that "weighting"?
wink.gif
)....

Developing one's muscles can be sooooooo beneficial. For normal, daily life (lifting groceries)... Prime example: we moved a kid into his dorm and I'm not even sore and/or tired. We walked and walked and lugged, but did it in two loads and my arms were FULL. Thank heavens for MIS and PS!!! WAhhhhhhhhhooooo
happy.gif

Then there's the "eating a little more" theory, cuz muscle burns more than fat...And did I mention feeling just plain AWESOME and STRONG???

I'll never be Teeney-tiny, I'll always be a pear, I'll always have the "baby belly".... but gosh darn! I'll be strong....

Now it's off to try that Upper Body Combo of all the CTX tapes... I have them all pre-cued...

Wahhhhhhhoooooooooooo
happy.gif

And go buy that barbell.....
Cleda

What kind of barbell is it?

Aimeeeeee, (Sorry, I couldn't resist the extra "e" on your name - Think Fred hollering for Wilma!). Anyway, what is the brand on your barbell? I'm going shopping this week and I'm going to K-Mart and Target to compare these (if they have them!). I realize I may have to pay more, but I want the best barbell for my money since I don't plan on getting anymore fitness equipment for a while. (I finally got THE STEP the other day, boy are my workouts tough with a longer step!!! OW OW OW!!) Okay, I'm done, TTFN
Tricia

all sorts of options...

So like Cleda said...Wait!
happy.gif

First don't underestimate yourself on how much you think you will be able to lift. You will pleasently surprise yourself if you start doing the Pure Strength series on a regular basis. If you stay consistant using Cathes strength tapes you will continue to get strong and quickly out grow a 25-35 lb bar. Not to say that isn't a good weight to start with, but you will end up like the rest of us and start collecting them
wink.gif

Some options for bars to grow with. If you are frugal, check out the good buys at your local Walmart/Target stores for a good starter set. Or one of those Replay Sports stores, if you have them. You can also get one of those EZ curl bars that are shorter than a regular bar and buy the plates by themselves..and buy only the weight you need and add on later. You can get a barbell pad for the EZ curl bar to make it more comfortable for the squats...it is also a very nice bar for bicurls(sort of what is was intended for
wink.gif
).

IMHO, if you go for the body bar..it would be fine for the lower weight endurance stuff in the new express series but, I honestly feel, you will out grow it in Pure Strength stuff if you wanted to progress and have a new rotation to play with.

Now if you want to be not so frugal
wink.gif
. There is a great bar that is offered by the Firm and also through one of the people in Cathes buyers guide. I forget the name of the company, but it's under barbells(of course
wink.gif
) and, I think they refer to it as an aerobic bar....it is the exact replica of the Firm bar and it has rubber plated weights. I have the Firm bar and love it. The only draw back is the thinkness of the padding makes the grip for deadlift a little wide. But like Cleda..I have several, so I load my EZ curl for deadlifts.
And of course there is that new bar that Cathe uses in the Express series that looks mighty nice too
happy.gif

Don'f feel intimidated at all with your barbell...or the weights you load on it. Women are designed not to get huge muscles and even though Cathes Pure Strength series lifts heavier than most strength tapes out there, the reps that she uses are kept in the higher end towards endurance more than the low/heavy bulking reps...so you will lean right out using the most weight you can safely use with the amount of reps Cathe does.

Happy Lifting!

nancy:O)

Tricia!!

The Flintstones are my favorite cartoon
happy.gif
!! Anyway, it's a Weider. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. Let me know what you get!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.