need advice on when to run......

majo

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me with this one. I've been running every other morning since May and have been doing Cathe's MIS or wedding weights on the days in between. But now it's too dark to run before work so have been doing Cathe cardio tapes in substitution for the last 2 weeks and only running on saturdays. I would like to add a run after work at least 2 days a week.

My question is: on which days should I run? Should it be on the days that I have done cardio in the morning already or on the days that I have done the weight workouts? I usually run between 5 and 6 miles and would also like to keep up this distance if possible and hopefully eventually even increase it. Is this reasonable?

I would appreciate any advice anyone has the time to give.
Thanks,
Jodi

Hi Jodi,

I enjoy running also and invested in a treadmill so I could still run in the morning, but maybe since you can run after work - just do a half hour of cardio in the am and run after work so you don't over do it, unless you are used to working out twice per day I think it may be too much to do all in one day.
Hope that helps!
Lisa

Jodi, I would suggest that you run on the days you have done weight work. I run 6 days/week and also do weights 3 of those days. Doing cardio twice on the same day may be too much. The body can only handle so much before it breaks down. I also find that drinking protein drinks helps my body to recover from the intense training. Hope this helps,
Shara

Hi Lisa and Shara,

Thanks so much for your advice! Since each of you have a different opinion, I'm going to try one for a week then the other for the next.
Yes Lisa a treadmill is the way to go and is hopefully in my future! I used one for the first time almost 2 months ago. How addictive! With those handy monitors to tell you how far you've gone; how long you've run for and how many calories you are burning it is really hard to actually get off the thing! I kept thinking, I can make it to the next 1/2 mi. or burn just 50 more calories or go for just 5 more minutes! Whew! I was lucky to get off, and when I did I was soaking wet and had to thoroughly clean the mats after abs and stretches!
Shara I think I am going to try you're suggestion first this week as I have just finished Imax(the first time I've done this video) and it was so brutally hot that I don't think I should add a run later today. Maybe just a walk!

All the best to you two and thanks again for helping me with this dilema.
Jodi
ps. I just previewed this and must find out how that icon got there! Cool!

I agree with Shara. I run on my weight days which is 4x/week. The days I do Cathe's step or kickboxing tapes, I don't run because it's too much impact on my knees & ankles.

Hi Marnie,

Thanks for reminding me about my knees! On the days I do Cathe's step or kickboxing tapes, my knees are a little tender. I feel it when I do a deep knee bend for something. Until or if my knees adjust I think that I'll run on my weight days.
Thanks for the good advice,
Jodi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.