Math

Philly Mamma

Cathe,
Can you tell me how you count weight on the bar? I am watching you doing squats and you say "I have 20 or 40 pounds on". Does this mean 20 on each side or 20 total? How much is the bar? Do you count that?
I am just trying to start myself out and I need a starting point (not that mine would be anywhere close to yours!)
thanks!

Hi Philly Mamma!

I'm obviously not Cathe, but I do count the weight of my bar. I do because my bar is not one of the lighter ones, it's 11 pounds, so that makes a big difference in how much weight I can lift! I probably wouldn't count the bar weight if I had a 5 pound bar, at least not on my legs as I can handle quite a bit more weight there.

I always include the bar weight for upper body as I'm a weakling there still! I don't know what everyone else does, but that's what I do.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Hi there - Cathe includes the weight of the bar - so total weight that she is lifting is what she gives - weights and bar combined. I think the bar she uses is light though. I have a 12lb (even though it is supposed to be 15 so weigh whatever you get) and an actual 15lb bar. The good thing about the weight on the bar is you need to add a little less weight and you can also use it without weights as a body bar sort of thing or for light endurance work, depending on your level of fitness and what you are trying to accomplish.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.