Lose as much fat first?

Hi Cathe and all of you Cathe fans.

My question is this: I am 5'6" and weigh 130 lbs. I do 3 days of cardio, 2 days of full body weight training and 1 day pilates. I eat 1800 calories a day. I still have fat around my torso and would like to decrease that so I'm nice and trim. I would also like to build muscle.

Should I concentrate on losing as much fat as possible before going into a heavy lifting routine to gain muscle mass? Or can you decrease body fat and increase muscle effectively at the same time?

Thanks.

Thanks for bumping, guys. I really hope Cathe answers this question that's been haunting me. The more I research this, the more confused I get. Please, Cathe, help set me straight!

bumping:...I would LOVE to know the answer to this one, also, it is a question I have wondered many many times, but have never had it answered, cmon Cathe, we need you! TIA! Misty

You might want to consider asking this in the 'open discussion'forum, to get some other opinions to tide you over until Cathe gets to you.;-)

Still waiting.

I posted the same question in the Open Discussion forum. Thanks for the suggestion, Kathryn. Hopefully someone will have some insight to this question that still haunts me. :eek:

>I've tried to find your question at the open forum, but can't
>find it. Has anyone answered it?
>
>Michelle

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=324136&mesg_id=324136&page=12

Hi Michelle, I added a link to the Open Discussion page. If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting the http address above into your address bar. That should take you to the Open Discussion page where I posted the same question. There was a great response but I just seem to be at a standstill with reaching my goals. I have changed my routine a bit, perhaps I'm just too impatient and need to stick with it a while longer before I see the result I'm looking for. I'm really hoping that Cathe does provide some feedback.

I am no expert but I do know that muscle burns more calories than fat. So I think if you began to incorporate a weight lifting routine into your weekly workouts that you would be killing two birds with one stone so to speak. Instead of focusing only only on losing fat I think you could do both by modifying you diet as you stated and adding weights. And too, if you have been doing the same routine for a while now and are hitting a plateau then adding a new type of exercise is a great way to throw your body off gaurd and see results.
This is my first time ever responding to this forum, so I hope you found what I had to say somewhat helpful. I would love to hear back from you and good luck!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.